Federal Skilled Worker Program Re-Opens

The Government of Canada announced new occupations and caps for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW).  Furthermore, additional information was announced for the Federal Skilled Trades and Canadian Experience Class programs.

Updates to the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Starting May 1st 2014 the Federal Skilled Worker Program will be accepting  25,000 new applications. All applicants must have at least one year of work experience. There will be a maximum of 1000 applications accepted for each occupation on the list.

The Revised FSW Occupation List

There are many occupations on the Federal Skilled Worker Program list this year, they are as follows:

  1. Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services
  2. Senior managers – trade, broadcasting and other services, n.e.c.
  3. Financial managers
  4. Human resources managers
  5. Purchasing managers
  6. Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers
  7. Managers in health care
  8. Construction managers
  9. Home building and renovation managers
  10. Managers in natural resources production and fishing
  11. Manufacturing managers
  12. Financial auditors and accountants
  13. Financial and investment analysts
  14. Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers
  15. Other financial officers
  16. Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations
  17. Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers
  18. Property administrators
  19. Geoscientists and oceanographers
  20. Civil engineers
  21. Mechanical engineers
  22. Electrical and electronics engineers
  23. Petroleum engineers
  24. Information systems analysts and consultants
  25. Database analysts and data administrators
  26. Software engineers and designers
  27. Computer programmers and interactive media developers
  28. Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians
  29. Construction estimators
  30. Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
  31. Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
  32. Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
  33. Computer network technicians
  34. Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors
  35. Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
  36. Specialist physicians
  37. General practitioners and family physicians
  38. Dietitians and nutritionists
  39. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
  40. Physiotherapists
  41. Occupational therapists
  42. Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
  43. Medical radiation technologists
  44. Medical sonographers
  45. Licensed practical nurse
  46. Paramedical occupations
  47. University professors and lecturers
  48. Psychologists
  49. Early childhood educators and assistants
  50. Translators, terminologists and interpreters

Streams, Caps and Criteria

All applicants applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW) will be assessed in the same way they were assessed for 2013. The FSW program includes streams for PHD holders and individuals who have received job offers from Canadian employers. There will be a maximum of 500 PHD applicants accepted under the upcoming program.

Note – Anyone who is applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program is strongly encouraged to do so as soon as possible.

How VisaPlace Can Help You

We at VisaPlace understand how important it is for to you to achieve your immigration goals. In our over 15 years of award-winning service, we have helped to successfully process thousands of visas. Let one of our experienced immigration lawyers assist you with your Federal Skilled Worker Program application.

Seize the moment and we will assist you to prepare your application and have it submitted in a timely manner!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Eleanora dArroux

    I am a nurse aide in my country Dominica would like more information on how I can be recruited
    Thanks much

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Eleanora, You will first need a job offer from a Canadian company. You can search the Canadian job boards such as http://www.monster.ca or http://www.indeed.ca . Once you have your job offer, we can help you obtain the work visa that you will need to come to Canada.
      Regards, Muga

  • shakeb

    I have done my engineering in mechanical but I have a complete work experience as a software professional in a software company. Do I qualify as a federal skilled worker as the fsw program demands to have at least a year of experience in relevant field

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Shakeb. Thank you for writing to us. From what you have described it looks like you would qualify for the FSW program. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you, after looking at all your information: education, work, language skills, family. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at http://goo.gl/JFZqPm
      Regards, Vahe

  • sk

    hi ,, i have procurement managers experience but dont have the title. i have single handedly managed the procurement department in my company and i was reporting directly to the finance director. i have done all teh job responsibilities required for a procurement manager but my title was procurement coordinator as there is no manager title on the org chart. can i still qualify the 2014 immigration to canada despite them asking for procurement manager’s title. the problem is from the country where i am working, a manager is an extremely high position which is only given to the local residents but we are only pr holders who are expected to do the work but cant obtain high ranking titles. please provide me your valuable opinion

    • owen

      Hello SK,

      Based on the information you provided, you may be eligible for the FSW program, but it would be best for you to seek personalized advice from one of our experienced immigration lawyers in order to maximize your chances of being able to come to Canada. Please fill out our free online assessment form and one of our immigration professionals will be in touch with you shortly. http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/


  • Kevin

    Hi, I sent my application on the 12th of May and the CIC in Nova Scotia received it on the 13th of May. How long does it take to get a response? I paid my application fees with a certified cheque.

    • Hello Kevin
      The application process can take a number of months. I would wait a few more. If you have not heard from them, feel free to contact us.

  • Omar jan M. Barahim

    hello,, i have been searching on how to apply working visa in Australia or in new zealand for almost a year or even applying a job online but unfortunately i dont get a good result,,, in our country its very hard to apply through agencies because of amount they are collecting from the applicants..

    • Hello Omar,

      Thank you for your recent post.

      We might be able to assist you with your immigration matter. Please contact us by filling out our online free assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your options.

      I turst the above meets with your satisfaction.



  • Allan sabayo

    Good day,

    What could be the better way to apply going to Canada?i want to come back to Canada on a Trv visa,since my last visit way back 2011 and now i am planning to migrate to Canada since i have my family living in Ontario and willing to support our application.my question was,do we have to apply on Fsw or visit visa and then apply for citizenship inside Canada..my wife would be eligible under fsw as medical technologist working with ministry of health for 14 years in kuwait.
    Pls advice…
    More power and god bless.

    • Hello Allan,

      Thank you for your post. To answer your question, A Visitor Visa will not lead to Permanent Resident Status in Canada. Without knowing your full situation and going by your post, it seems as though your best option may be for your wife to apply under for Permanent Resident status in Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker category.

      Please fill out our free assessment and one of our skilled representatives will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you through the steps to obtain your immigration goals to Canada. http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/

  • Dexter

    Have a great day!im dexter im mechanical engineer,from philippines,ive been working in abroads my last contract in singapore last may,can i get visa to work in canada from philippines maam, thanks maam!

    • Hello Dexter,

      Thank you for your post. In order to work in Canada, you will need to obtain a Labour Market Opinion and then make an application for a Work Permit. Once your Work Permit is granted, you will be allowed to work in Canada. Based on your question, if you are looking to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada, you may be qualified to make an application under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

      Kindly visit http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ . Once there please fill out our free on-line assessment and book a consultation with one of our qualified consultants who can discuss your matter in detail with you and provide you with advice on how to make your immigration goals to Canada a reality.

  • teresa

    im already 57 y/o still working as nurse supervisor in a govt hosp my previous application in FSW was returned due to backclog can u help me to go canada w my family.thanks n best regards

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hello Teresa,
      We would be happy to help determine your eligibility for Canadian Immigration. In order to do so, we require some more information from you. Please go here: http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ and fill out our Free Online Assessment Form. A member of our Canadian Immigration team will review your information and get back to you with your options within 24 hours.

      All the best,
      Sarah Jane

  • teresa talon

    im 57 y/o by oct am i still qualify as nurse? but my son has an application hes a nurse i d0ne n complete the application our problem is where to submit n where to pay the processing fees.thanks

    • owen

      Hello Teresa,

      Thank you very much for your question. If your education credentials as a nurse are recognized and you have an Educational Credential Assessment, then you may be eligible to come to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker program, assuming that you also have the requisite work experience and language skills. Please see this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/sydney.asp for the address to which you may send your application (look under economic class). Feel free to contact us if you are in need to any further assistance with your FSW application.


  • Faheem W.

    hi I m paramedic here in Pakistan plz halp me.

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hi Faheem,

      We’d be happy to provide you with a consultation to discuss your situation in greater detail. Feel free to contact us.

      Best Regards.

  • Naimisha Patel

    Thank you sir,

    I update my mail every day. You are sending me updated news regularly for canada PR. I am really happy to help the same.

  • Md Sadekul Islam

    I am currently working in Malaysia one of the Handicapped Children Home in Admin side. How do I apply there in Canada.

    For your information I am Bangladeshi but currently In Malaysia.

    Best Regards,

    • Hello Md,

      Thank you for your post. Kindly go to http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ and fill out our free on-line assessment. From there we will be able to complete a thorough assessment and then be able to give you immigration advice.

    • Hi Md Sadekul,

      Thank you for your post. You may qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker stream which has just undergone some changes as of May 1, 2014. The FSW stream uses a point system where an applicant is assessed according to various factors that will indicate whether there is a strong likelihood that the applicant and dependents will successfully establish in Canada. An ideal candidate for this program will possess employment skills and experience compatible with occupations that are available to prospective immigrants to Canada.

      In order to assist you please provide us with more information using our free assessment and we will be able to help determine your eligibility under this program and other immigration programs that Canada has to offer. http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/



  • Cecille P. L

    Hello I am currently employed as Registrar Supervisor in a Nursing School. Im a computer Science Graduate.. I want to go to Canada for employment. Am I qualified?

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hello Cecille,
      We require more information in order to assess your eligibility for Canadian Immigration. Please fill out the Free Eligibility Assessment Form and a VisaPlace team members will assess your eligibility within 24 hours.

      Sarah Jane

  • Laetitia Annabella

    Dear sir,

    I’m currently working as a government employee holding a position af Human Resources Manager with 8years working experiences. I’m graduate in Political Sciences and Administration.
    I want to apply for permanent residency and apply for a job which related to my qualifications.

    • Hi there, thank you for your post.

      Thank you for your post.

      You might be eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker class, but we need more info to assess your eligibility. In order to be considered for the FSW program, a foreign worker must have ONE of the following:

      At least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in one of the 24 eligible occupations, Qualified for Arranged Employment with a Labour Market Opinion and a full-time, permanent job offer from a Canadian employer, Completed a PhD in Canada, or have completed two years of study in Canada towards a PhD, in both cases at a recognized institution. In addition, the applicant must prove an ability to speak either English or French.

      Please visit our website and complete the assessment form http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ and someone will get back to you with your request options.

  • Saad Farooqi

    I am intermediate and i have experience of insurance and customer services . Am i eligible for FSW canada?

    • Hi there, thank you for your post.

      We will need more information to assist you in determining your eligibility under the FSW Program. Namely we will need to assess you educational history, fit you under a National Occupation Code and see how you score on the CIC points assessment. Please fill out our free assessment and one of our highly skilled representatives will be pleased to help you out to determine your eligibility http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment.

  • Elma

    Hi. Im 47 yrs old. I have a 13yrs experience as customer service and telephone operator (international and national) call from a very reputable telephone company. I also managed a payment center here in the Philippines. Am interested in any work assignment that will fit my skills. Wish to work and live in Canada. Pls email me for reply.
    Thanks and Gd bless.

  • roxanne

    i would like to know if plumbers are accepted as i dont see it on the list published.

  • Hesham

    Best immigration office , Wonderful Staff

    • Thank you Hesham. We appreciate the comment
      Michael Niren

    • Hi there, thank you very much for your post. We at Niren & Associates are always thrilled to hear such feedback from our clients and are happy to have helped you out. We strive hard at helping everyone with their immigration matters and hope for your continued support!


  • Fikru Kinfu

    Dear Sirs.
    I am mainly a construction professional at a civil engineering level with two decades experience and further more I have other three degrees in Business management, Accounting and Cooperatives development and Leadership. Well skilled in construction leading, estimation and office management works…..

  • Kevin T

    Hi, I used to work part-time with a Canadian university back from 2006 till 2010 as a teaching assistant while in my PhD, and then left to do lecturing in Japan from 2011 till 2014 for about 2 and a half years or so. What are the necessary rules for application offshore outside of Canada under the federal skilled workers’ program, or do we need to land in Canada to do this application?

  • je vait travaille avec vous je suis diplome en mecanique general et chauffeur

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Bonjour Clave,
      Vous pourriez être admissible à l’un des courants de l’emploi de l’immigration au Canada. Pour savoir si vous êtes admissible, s’il vous plaît remplir notre formulaire d’évaluation en ligne et un de nos représentants vous contactera dans les 24 heures.

      Bonne chance,
      Sarah Jane

  • Zahid

    I have Bachelor of Science Honor (Information Technology and Communication) from MIHE & I have my 2nd Bachelor of BSc. Economics/ Planning. In addition I am working with multinational company since last seven years. I also know the roles and regulation of the local engineering & other international telecommunication companies as well. Beside this I also have PMP preparation and on excellent Management experience.

  • There are a lot of questions about the FSW program. If you wish to apply or are interested in the program, please fill out our online immigration assessment and we will get back to you.
    Michael Niren

  • Where to send my application or what is the process to follow?
    You could tell me, please.
    Thank you

    • Hello Cissi,

      Thank you for your post. It will be our pleasure to assist you during your immigration process to Canada. We will require more information about you and your current circumstances to proceed further. Please fill out our free assessment and this will help us determine your eligibility under the Federal Skilled Worker program and/or other programs that best suit you. http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/



  • Dear,

    I’m curious what are chances for more than 20 years experienced Casino employee to join this visa program? I worked a bit less than 3 years as a casino supervisor in US as well – on Cruise ships. Can I suit to one of your group and start application process?

    Thank you for your consideration


  • Ghassan

    Would like to know if food Science Technology is part of the FSW

    Thank You

  • Dr.Hina

    Dear Sir,
    I’ve done D.Pharm (Doctorate of Pharmacy) , i need to know that, is there any opportunity to apply as an immigrant in Canada or in any other country?

    Dr.Hina Khan

  • James

    Hi, I have been working in the Electronics Institution in Chinese Science Academy as an Eletrical Engineer for seven years, can I apply for the program?

  • Susan

    I am currently working as a government employee holding a position of Engineer III. I am a Civil Engineer with 26 yrs of working experience. I want to apply for permanent residency and also apply for a job related to my profession. Thank you.

  • Sohaib


    I have 17 years of work experience. Out of which 10 yrs is in Relationship Management/Customer relations with Deutsche Bank and about 2 yrs in Business Continuity Management.

    Two of my siblings are Canadian citizens. My wife is a Sonologist (Ultrasound) and has about 10 yrs of experience.

    I need to get an assessment done to know my prospects of getting a Canadian citizenship. I also need to know the process and the total time duration of the process.

    I cant access the free assessment link.

    Looking fwd to hearing from you soon.


  • flocelynn

    good day sir. i’m very much willing to work and migrate in canada, i’m a medical technologist license and a doctor of medicine graduate. hope you can help me sir.
    thank you very much.

  • Muhammad

    Sir I’m not worker.im student of post graudgate so sir pls help me I want student visa with work permanent.

  • kabir

    sir. realy please i need your help..shuer give me your full address.after i take money..just i want canada work parment visa..14 year work exprance..qatar reastaurant cook work..

  • laina

    im interested to apply, pls help me how to apply.

  • Tatyana

    Dear All,
    Thank you for update info about new occupations and caps 2014.
    I would try to apply for occupation of Purchasing manager. I am in furniture line for 10 years. My current position is export /Purchasing manager in CD Furniture Sdn. Bhd. / Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
    I’ve hold a professional pass of category 1. ( 4 years experience working abroad)
    Please advice may I try to submit my docs or maybe no way ?
    Thank you in advance

  • binish

    i want to apply for immigration i am database administratot

  • Sailesh

    I am currently working as an OCR for an International bpo (Etech- Global Services ltd). I have four plus years of experience in Customer service.
    I have also worked as a Field Executive and Field sales officer for a telecommunication company in India for 4 years.

    Please let me know if I can get a job on this basis. I’m ready to work for a job which requires heavy travelling.

  • Sailesh

    I am currently working as an OCR for an International bpo (Etech- Global Services ltd). I have four plus years of experience in Customer service.
    I have also worked as a Field Executive and Field officer for a telecommunication company in India for 4 years.

    Please let me know if I can get a job on this basis. I’m ready to work for a job which requires heavy travelling.

  • Thiru

    I am a qualified Professional who has been specialized in home renovation projects as well furniture manufacturing. I and my spouse are both engaged in this occupation. We have a 11 years old school going child. We live in New Delhi,India.
    We are interested in immigrating to Canada.Please advice.

  • Palash md Hashem khan

    I have no ielts.so I can apply federal skill

    • Hello Palash,

      In order to apply for this program you do need to write an IELTS exam. In addition, there are also some other factors to make you eligible for the program. If you wish us to assess your eligibility please visit our website and complete the assessment form http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/

  • bakare j

    what is the processing fee?

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      The processing fee as set out by Citizenship & Immigration Canada for the FSW Program is in the $500 range. Without specific information I am only able to give an approximate answer to your question. If you wish, please fill out our Free Online Assessment Form and from there we will have a better idea of your situation & be able to provide a more detailed answer.

      Sarah Jane

  • Dr. Ahmed Younus Ahmed

    Hello ,, am realy greatfull for the information and the service your highness are achieving .. I have a question if possible : I finished college of medicine in Iraq and am rotator right now .. Is it possible for me to apply for migration to canada ?? And do I have any chance to be accepted ?? Thanks in advance ..

  • Marilyn

    I would like to go to the USA as an actress for film & TV but it does not appear on the above list. Please write to me if you think that it might include actresses.
    Thank you.

  • Mohammed

    Dear Sir:

    I am pleased to receive your present e-mail message for informing about the program of FSW.

    I am a certified translator from Syria, wish to find a job in Canada as an authorized translator and official interpreter.

    Indeed, i have made lot of translations for most of the embassies in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and recently in Turkey.

    Meantime, would be much grateful if you can help me to find a job with lawyers offices who have related affairs with immigration.

    Finally, i want to know if my lonely daughter and can immigrate with me.

    Your kind and quick reply is much appreciated.

    Yours faithfully,

  • Andre

    Would a person who had to file for criminal rehab relief normally to travel to Canada be eligible for this program?

  • What is the first step to make?

  • Im not qualified in any of those areas i work in tourism so what is there for me?

  • Am really interested on this program of the Federal skill worker. want to see myself to benefit from this program.
    I am a student Accountant currently studying the ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountant ). am the intermediate level, that level two. got my diploma in Accounting ( Association of accounting technician ) AAT in london.
    got five to six years working experiencing in the accounting field.
    Can you please give me the necessary guideline i should follow to see that my application is fruitful.

    Ebou Bobb

  • Ligia Guzman Pren

    Im very interested in applying in this program. I have several years experience as Purchasing Manager, Sales Manager and International Sales Manager. Do you think that i can qualify for immigration to canada?… how much your costs will be and what would you do for me exactly?

  • Laila Latif


    I am interested in applying for a skilled worker program as a Early childhood Educator and Assistant for Canada that has re opened. I have some experience, more than 2 years, of working at some local School in Abbottabad, Khyber Pakhtoon khwa, Pakistan and want to know whether if I can qualify or am I eligible to apply for this immigration process.


  • Akinsola A

    Kindly send further information regards the application procedure

  • I done diploma in nursing in India and they want registered nurse. Can I apply for this post?

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Registered nurses & psychiatric nurses, as well as nursing co-ordinators and supervisors are all considered eligible positions for FSW.
      In order for me to answer your question regarding your eligibility, we would require more information.
      Please fill out the Free Online Assessment Form and from there we can take a closer look at your case and give you a more detailed answer. Once you fill out the form, someone will reply to you within 24 hours

      All the best,
      Sarah Jane

  • aireen b

    how can apply..?

    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hello Aireen,
      Please go here: and fill out the Free Online Eligibility Assessment. One of our experienced immigration professionals will get back to you within 24 hours.

      All the best,
      Sarah Jane

  • Please respond and let me know the procedure.

  • khristine maurillo

    How about work at farm or maid??? I’m not ginish my college anyway. And I still here at Saudi Arabia as servant. By next year of August I finish my 2 years contract…

  • Muhammad Nazakat

    My name is Muhammad nazakat.I have done my master degree in computer science.I have a 3 years experience in software development .I want to go canada.Plz guide me the visa process and job that is mention above.

  • Sandhya

    Hi am Sandhya am living in London with my family on student visa with in 3 & half year, we want to come in Canada. Do what is the processor pls contact me

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago