- Canada announced a new pathway that will turn international students in Canada into Permanent Residents.
- Canada is still accepting study permit applications, however, delays should be expected.
- If you’re an international student who has a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions.
- International students who remain in Canada can apply to renew their study permit, and can continue to study and work while their application renewal is being processed.
- If a study permit was issued to an international student after March 18, 2020, they are currently not allowed to travel to Canada.
- If you’re traveling by air, you need to follow all airline requirements and pass a health check conducted by airlines before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
- When you arrive in Canada, they will assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.
- Only people who provide essential services, for example, truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements.
For more updates on the Coronavirus, visit our page on the impact the Coronavirus has had on Canadian immigration.
What is a Canadian Study Permit?
Every year, over 130,000 students come to Canada to study. In order to do so, they must obtain a study permit issued by the Canadian government. This permit, which is a type of Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows students to study in Canada for a temporary period of time, and typically indicates the educational institution they are attending and course of study. To qualify, an applicant must fit a certain set of requirements.
Canada Study Permit
How to Get a Study Permit
To get a Canadian study permit, you must first apply to a designated learning institute. Once accepted, you may proceed to apply for a study permit. Along with the application itself, you will be required to submit certain documentation, as well as meet all requirements set by the Canadian government.
What if You Are Refused?
An applicant can be refused for a number of reasons. He or she may lack proof of sufficient funds, or proof that they will stay for only a temporary basis. If this happens, it is important to take a close look at the application to understand what went wrong. From here, an individual may be able to reapply and oftentimes have success the second time around if all issues are fixed.
Resources for Prospective Students
If you are interested in studying in Canada, you will first need a letter of acceptance from an educational institution, meaning you will need to apply to the university directly. Canada offers great opportunity for higher learning at a number of institutions. Here we have highlighted some options to serve as a starting point in deciding where to apply.
Study Permit to Permanent Residency
Many international students in Canada finish their studies with the hopes of obtaining work and remaining in Canada permanently. In certain Express Entry categories, students may be eligible for permanent residence without any work experience. Often though, students will apply for work and then a work visa to stay temporarily. After having gained academic and work experience in Canada, they may have more options to apply for Canadian permanent residency.
Applying for the Student Direct Stream (SDS)
Those foreign nationals from a specific list of countries have the ability to apply for the Student Direct Stream (SDS) which is ultimately for faster, more efficient study permit processing.
Check out more information about the Student Direct Stream!
Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) with Online Courses
The Post-Graduate Work Permit Program gives international student graduates there opportunity to work in Canada up to 3 years after their studies. Due to Coronavirus this temporary policy was announced that graduates are able to apply for the PGWP even with online courses.
Learn more about the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program!
Study Permit Processing Time
Canadian Study Permit Processing Times depend mostly on the applicant’s country of residence. Typically a Canadian study permit can be processed between 1-16 weeks. Visit our page on Canada Visa Processing Times for 2021 to learn more.
Canadian Study Permit Requirements and New Rules for International Students
In order to qualify for a study permit, you must:
- Satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies
- Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution
- Prove that you have money for the duration of your stay in Canada to pay for tuition fees, and living expenses for yourself and accompanying family members.
- Be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity
- Not be a risk to the security of Canada
- Be in good health (complete a medical examination, if required)
Note: You may need to produce any additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility.
The Top 4 FAQs About Canadian Study Permits
Generally you can stay in Canada for the duration of your study permit. Look at your permit and it will tell you when it expires. In some cases, you can apply for an extension.
Yes, but only under limited circumstances such as when:
- Your employment is on-campus;
- The international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
- The work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study;
- The work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship;
- The work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.
Spouses of international students are eligible to work temporarily in Canada.
There are other ways to work while on a study permit depending on where you study in Canada.
No. You do not require a Study Permit when:
- You take a French or English language training course that is no more than three months in duration; or
- You are the spouse or dependent child; a diplomatic or consular officer; a representative of a foreign country; or a representative of the United Nations or any other intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member.
Yes you can. You will need to file Form IMM 1249. This immigration visa form is used by individuals who want to file for an extension of their study permit in Canada. Individuals submit form IMM 1249 to change conditions or to extend their stay in Canada as students. This application is for temporary residents who reside currently reside in Canada as students.
Note: Individuals holding valid current temporary resident status can apply for an extension of their stay, provided they apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of their current status.
How Long Can I Stay in Canada?
1. If you’re taking prerequisite courses
If your school asks you to take courses before they accept you into the main program, your study permit will be valid for the length of those courses, plus 1 year. When you get accepted into the main program, you must then apply to extend your stay as a student.
2. If you’ll finish your studies after your study permit expires
If you don’t finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student. If you don’t, you’ll need to stop studying and leave Canada.
3. If you finish your studies before your study permit expires
If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies, no matter what day is printed on the study permit.
You’ve completed your studies on the date your school first notifies you by completion letter, transcript, degree, or diploma.
Canada Student Visa Requirements 2021
There are several eligibility requirements for those looking to immigrate to Canada for study. The following are requirements for study permits in Canada:
- You must be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- You must prove you have enough money for: tution fees, living expenses, and return transportation.
- You must obey the law, have no criminal record, and get a police certificate (if required).
- You must be in good health and get a medical exam (if required).
- You must prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires.
Why Study in Canada?
Canada is one of the greatest country destinations for international students. The educational standard and quality of living in Canada is one of the best. We’ve written several articles on why you should study in Canada.
Why Hire Us to Help You With Your Canada Student Visa Forms
Studying in Canada is an amazing experience for any student. Canada has one of the highest standards of education in the world. If you want to ensure your best chances at getting an approval on your student visa application, then we recommend you consult with us before submitting. We have helped thousands and thousands of students successfully enter Canada on a study permit, and we can help you too!