For a limited time, book a Visa Consultation online and save 20% off the regular booking fee! Use promo code: 2022BookmeBOOK NOW
To see our website filtered by an specific destination, select the country: You’re seing the content related to that we can help you with immigration journey. If you want to see a specific destination, immigration journey. If you want to see a different destination, click here

Returning to the US with a Spouse or Fiance: What You Should Know

By Casey October 5, 2020 (Updated October 5, 2020) 3 min. read

US citizens living in another country often find someone they wish to marry and bring to the United States. If you are a United States citizen living abroad looking for the best way to obtain an immigrant visa for your fiance or spouse, there are a couple of options for you.

File for the I-130 Petition While Living Abroad

If you are a US citizen living outside of the United States and wish to bring your partner back to the US with you, you will first want to file for a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

When the Form I-130 is approved, it will be sent for consular processing and the consulate or embassy will provide notification and processing information.

After this step, you will have 2 visa options to choose from:

Apply for a K-3 Nonimmigrant Visa While Outside of the US

A K-3 visa allows the foreign national entry into the US while they await the approval of the initial immigrant visa. This visa was mainly made to reduce the separation between a US citizen and their spouse.

Usually, someone who applies for a K-3 visa will do so while waiting for a permanent resident (green card) visa.

K-3 Visa Eligibility

To successfully apply for the United States K-3 visa, both the US citizen and foreign national spouse must:

K-3 Visa Application Process

The United States citizen’s spouse must first file for the Form I-130 with USCIS. This is to make sure there is an appropriate relationship for the purposes of a family-based permanent residence application.

After USCIS starts processing the I-130 petition and you receive a receipt letter, the US citizen can proceed to file the Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé (yes, this is the application for a fiance visa, but don’t be confused -what you’re applying for is a hybrid of the fiance and marriage-based visa). If you receive acceptance of Form I-129F, your case is then moved to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign national’s country of residence.

The last step is applying for the K-3 visa through the embassy or consulate. This will also include a medical exam and a visa interview that the K-3 applicant should prepare for. Once the applicant gets approval of the K-3 visa, they may enter the United States.

Apply for an Immigrant Visa While Outside of the US

After filing for Form I-130, your visa case will be sent to the National Visa Center, where they will then send a packet of forms and instructions. The foreign-born spouse will then have to complete the forms and documents, pay the required fees, undergo a medical examination, and be fingerprinted for a criminal background check. The US citizen or green card holder will then need to present an Affidavit of Support, proving that their income is enough to keep their spouse off of public assistance.

If everything you have completed above comes back the way it should, the National Visa Center will then redirect the case to the appropriate United States consulate or embassy abroad. After this, the foreign-born spouse will be notified when to come in for an interview. You may both attend the interview, but you cannot bring an attorney.

If everything checks out, your spouse will be issued an immigrant visa. With this visa, your spouse can enter the U.S. as a permanent resident.

Are You Interested in Bringing Your Foreign-Born Spouse to Live with You In the United States?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Belinda Maraj Avatar

Belinda Maraj

Our experience with the team at VisaPlace has been absolutely amazing. Special thank you to Nadia Bakhtiari whom we had the pleasure of partnering with. Nadia was attentive, empathetic, knowledgeable, professional, friendly and accessible. She provided guidance and kept us in the loop every step of the way. We were so impressed with the professionalism and exceptional client experience from VisaPlace that we partnered with them for both our PR application and our citizenship application. Thank you VisaPlace and thank you Nadia!

betty klassen Avatar

betty klassen

We were switched legal teams 3 times within our time there.( This was not our doing) We weren’t impressed at all with the service almost all the way through our experience. Our review would have been 1 star. The response time was awful. To get in contact with our attorney was so difficult. And not thorough. Almost at the end, when we were almost ready to file, we got switched again, but this time, we are thankful. The attorney we got then was Andrew Diamond. He is fantastic and the reason for the 5 star rating. This is his rating. He was phenomenal. Absolutely amazing and prompt with response time and very knowledgeable, thorough and so helpful. We couldn’t have asked for better. Thank you Andrew for all you did for us!

Arash Sorkhabi Avatar

Arash Sorkhabi

I’m satisfied with the expertise and professionalism with which my case was managed and handled. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the firm for its support. Although it has been a long process time due to Covid, Nadia has always been one of the first people to guide me step by step through the path during this stressful and unprecedented time. I strongly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking legal counsel.

Sarb walia Avatar

Sarb walia

I am thrilled to share that , We have just got our Permanent residence status under humanitarian and compassionate category. It was great experience to get professional service from visaplace. All team members very knowledgeable, hard worker, polite and professional. Special thanks to Yasmeen Ali, who always guide me through out processs. Its not easy task to get positive output in HM Category. I am highly recommend visaplace for any kind of immigration needs.

Shannon Wilde Avatar

Shannon Wilde

Applying for my E2 Visa was so overwhelming for me. As soon as I engaged VisaPlace all that worry and stress was gone. They guided me through the entire process and set me up for success! I would 100% recommend using them for any of your Visa Needs.

Julia Rood Avatar

Julia Rood

I reached out to VisaPlace kind of on a whim, knowing that I needed to apply for permanent residency in order to stay with my spouse and our two cats. They were immediately and incredibly responsive, and almost instantly made me feel that I was dealing with professionals who cared about my case.

I reached out to them August last year, and today got the confirmation that my permanent residency has been approved. The people I worked with in VisaPlace stuck with me through the whole process, answering any questions and assuaging any fears that I had about the process, my application, or what I needed to do. Even when my anxiety made me snappy (I apologized immediately!) they handled my case and me with professionalism and compassion. Immigration is a stressful, scary process. I wanted professionals who knew the ins-and-outs so that I had the best chance of being able to come to Canada.

And now, I get to stay in Canada with my partner of nearly 10 years, and I couldn’t be happier. I would absolutely recommend this service to anyone who wants immigration help! A big thank you, especially, to Alejandra and Nadia for handling my case. I’m so lucky to have had your help!

Sanjida Prima Avatar

Sanjida Prima

Had a great experience working with the people at VisaPlace for a Permanent Residency application! The team I dealt with (Nadia B., Krisztina T., Mansi S.) was extremely knowledgeable, prompt and handled the case with care. I would definitely recommend their services to anyone in need!