To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

Immigrate to the United States: US Visa Applications

Interested in immigrating to the  United States? Whether you are coming to visit, work, or study, you can learn more about the various pathways and how a US immigration lawyer can help you! 

Interested in immigrating to the United States?
Fill out our immigration assessment form today.

Thousands of people come to the United States each year to visit, work, and live. After all, America is known as the Land of Opportunity. However, in order to visit or eventually move to the US, an individual will need to obtain a valid visa or Green Card.

When considering immigration to the United States, not only is it vital to assess the eligibility requirements based on your specific situation but it’s important to think about your immigration goals! Your US immigration options are split into two categories:

  • temporary residency
  • permanent residency

Flag Icon US Temporary Residency Options

People from around the world are applying for US temporary visas every day whether it’s to visit, work, or study. While the job market in the US is under pressure, foreign nationals are finding great opportunities to work and live in the US. 

Visit the US

There are two temporary US visitor visas available to those wanting to come to the United States for a short amount of time whether that’s for tourism or business purposes.

  • B1 Visa – visiting for business reasons
  • B2 Visa – visiting for tourism reasons

Work Temporary in the US

To work in the United States temporarily, you must obtain a US Work Visa to be employed in the country legally. There are several different types of work visas available for foreigners who are interested in working in the United States:

  • E1 Visa – citizens of countries that the US has a treaty of commerce with who can offer substantial trade
  • E2 Visa – citizens of countries that the US has a treaty of commerce with who can make a substantial investment
  • H1B Visa – skilled workers within specialty occupations
  • H2B Visa – working seasonal non-agricultural jobs
  • L1A and L1B Visas – expanding your business to the US or being transferred to an existing business
  • O1 Visa – workers with extraordinary ability within arts, science, business, education, or athletics
  • TN Visa – workers from Canada or Mexico through the USMCA

Study in the US

The US is known for its exceptional universities and high levels of education. For this reason, many international students apply each year to study abroad in the US through two student visa options:

  • F1 Visa – those who plan to study at an academic institution or language training program
  • M1 Visa – those who plan to study in vocational or other non-academic programs

Flag Icon US Permanent Residency Options

Work Permanently in the US

Seeking long-term employment in the United States is similar to applying for a temporary work visa but instead, you will need to be approved for an employment-based green card. These employment green cards include:

  • EB1 Green Card – for priority workers with extraordinary abilities, are outstanding professors and researchers, or multifunctional managers/executives 
  • EB2 Green Card – professionals with advanced degrees, exceptional abilities, or a National Interest Waiver (NIW)
  • EB3 Green Card – professionals with a bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent
  • EB4 Green Card – special immigrants including religious workers or juveniles 

Live Permanently in the US

There are two main ways people can come to the US to live permanently that don’t involve needing employment credentials and that’s through family sponsorship or a substantial investment.

Top Ask Questions About US Immigration

Is the Green Card Lottery Real?​​

Yes, the green card lottery is real which is also known as the Diversity Visa Program! This yearly lottery selects thousands of immigrants from  countries with low immigration rates to the US and gives them the opportunity to live permanently in the United States.

Do I Automatically Get a Green Card After Marrying a US Citizen?

In most cases yes, you would gain permanent residency when marrying a US citizen. The USCIS grants spouses conditional permanent residence for two years before needing to apply for a US green card.

Can My Sponsored Spouse Work in the US?

Sometimes sponsored spouses are given access to work in the United States. L-2 visa holders (spouses of L-1 visa holders) and spouses of E visa holders have recently been allowed to apply for employment authorization.

Does a Canadian Citizen Need a Visa to Visit the US?​

No, a visa is not needed to visit the US as a Canadian citizen for up to 6 months! . However, you will need a valid passport/ appropriate identification to cross the border (and vice versa).

Why Should I Hire a US Immigration Laywer?

The US immigration application process can be very difficult. These days, the rules and regulations make it challenging to qualify for a US visa. Whether you are applying for US permanent residence or temporary residence, it is essential that your application is handled properly from start to finish.

Benefits to Hiring a US Immigration Lawyer
  • Knowing the best immigration path based on YOUR credentials and YOUR immigration goals
  • Help avoid common mistakes in your application that could result in a visa denial
  • A consistent and speedy process as your immigration lawyer helps you collect and provide whats needed to reach success
  • Dedicated professionals who will work closely with you throughout the process and will be available to answer any questions
  • No missed opportunities as immigration professionals know all monitor the many different programs and visas for updates to make sure you are best positioned for success

Interested in Immigrating to the United States?

Hiring a US immigration lawyer can be vital to your success when applying for such a huge life-changing opportunity. Visaplace has helped thousands of foreign nationals virtually across the globe successfully immigrate to the United States through various pathways and we can help you too! Speak with a professional to see if you qualify and determine the best option for YOU!