Who Qualifies for a Canada Business Visa?
Canada offers tremendous opportunities to foreigners who want to do business in Canada. Every year, thousands of ambitious businesspeople grace our shores and there is certainly no reason why you can not be among them.
The objective of the Business Immigration Program is to encourage investment and employment in Canada through the migration of people who have the ability to successfully establish or invest in a business in Canada.
4 Main Categories to Business Visas in Canada
Individuals with business/managerial experience and relatively high net-worth may apply for a Canadian permanent residence under the Canada Business Immigration Program in one of the following four sub-categories:
- Self Employed Persons
- PNP Business Programs
# of Immigrants Receiving PR Through Federal Business
1. Start-Up Visa Investor Program
When looking to immigrate to Canada as an investor, the best option available is to apply for the general Start-up Visa Program. You will have to meet certain requirements for your application to be successful by being innovative, creating jobs for Canadians and being able to compete internationally.
Requirements for Investors
To qualify for the Start-up Visa, applicants must:
- Have a qualifying business
- Demonstrate intermediate knowledge in both English and French (CBL5)
- Get a letter of support from a designated institution (Receive a minimum funding commitment of $200,000 CDN from a designated Venture Capital Organization, $75,000 from an approved Angel Investor, or Business Incubator)
- Bring enough money to settle in Canada
2. Entrepreneur Program
Because they create employment opportunities and contribute to the Canadian economy, entrepreneurs are encouraged to apply for this immigration stream. Successful applicants are able to open a business in Canada, as well as gain permanent residence status in the country.
Requirements for Entrepreneurs
To qualify for the Entrepreneur Program, applicants must:
- Establish, purchase or make a substantial investment in a business in Canada within 2 years of landing in Canada which will result in a significant contribution to the economy
- Engage in active and ongoing participation in the management of the business
- Employ at least one Canadian citizen or permanent resident other than the entrepreneur and his dependents.
To ensure that these conditions are met, entrepreneurs are required to report to immigration officials their progress, on a regular basis within this two year period.
3. Self-Employed Persons Program
This business immigration stream is for those who will either establish or purchase a business in Canada that will make a “significant” contribution to the economy or the cultural or artistic life of Canada
Eligibility under Self-employed persons program:
- have relevant experience (at least 2 years experience in the last 5 years)
- be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the program’s selection criteria (minimum 35 points) and
- meet medical, security and other conditions
Selection criteria is based on:
- language abilities
Learn more about the Self-Employed Program.
4. Business PNP Programs
There are several business investment avenues through PNP programs across Canada:
- Requirements: $600,000 CAD net worth, 3 years experience being a business owner/manager, invest $200,000 & create at least 1 full time job for Canadian citizens or PR.
Entrepreneur Regional Pilot
- Requirements: $100,000 investment, personal net worth of $300,000, have minimum 51% ownership & create 1 full time job in the local community.
- Criteria: The business must be located in a community in BC with a population less than 75,000
Learn more about the British Columbia PNP Business Programs
*All of the successful PNP program applicants will get a work permit and will need to invest the monetary amount above within 1-2 years. Once job creation is completed then the applicant can apply for PR*
Why Seeking Professional Immigration Help is Essential
Obtaining Canadian immigration under the “Business Class” has its advantages. If you apply, you will not necessarily require a working level of English or French nor have to meet stringent educational requirements.
Also in some cases, as a business immigrant, your permanent residence status in Canada will be unconditional, meaning that you do not have to meet harsh terms and conditions requiring you to actively manage a business in order to maintain your status. However, to take advantage of these opportunities, you must know how to properly represent yourself when applying. This is best achieved with the help of a legal expert who has experience with each businessperson”s unique situation.
Why Hire Us to Help with Your Business Visa Application?
Canada is rich with opportunity for budding businesses, and it can be a great place for you to realize your potential. The Canadian market is thriving thanks, in large part, to foreign businesses, and you too can count yourself among them, but only through the proper immigration channels. We have helped thousands of business owners and investors successfully immigrate to Canada. Our experienced immigration lawyers will be able to assess your case and recommend a course of action to best serve your needs.