To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

Canada Intra-Company Transfer Visa for Work in Canada

If you are interested in sending your employees to Canada, you should look into applying for the Intra-Company Transfer ICT Canada Visa. Fill out our immigration assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options.

Canada has a program called the International Mobility Program that allows high-skilled foreign workers to temporarily work in Canada as an Intra-Company Transferee or other known as the ICT Canada. If an international company has a location within Canada that company can apply to have any of their employees transferred to the Canada location. Applying for an Intra-Company Transfer visa allows the company and employee to avoid applying for an LMIA since this is an LMIA-exempt work permit. Qualified intra-company transferees require work permits and are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). They provide significant economic benefits to Canada by transferring their expertise to Canadian businesses. 

Requirements for International Mobility Program: Intra Company Transfer (ICT)

There are several requirements the international company and employee must meet in order to be qualified for a work permit.

General Requirements for Intra Company Transfer Canada

The following are the General Requirements to qualify for an Intra Company Transfer Visa Canada:

  • You are currently employed by an international company and seeking entry to Canada in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or an affiliate of that company.
  • You are transferring to a company that has a qualifying relationship (see below) and will be undertakign employment at a legitimate and continuing establishment of that company
  • You are being transferred to a position in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity.
  • You have been employed continously (proved through payroll or other form) by the company that plans to transfer them outside Canada in a similar full-time position for at least one year in the three-yearperiod immediately preceding the date of initial application.
  • You are coming to Canada for a temporary period only.
  • You comply with all the immigration requirements for temporary entry

Company Requirements for Intra Company Transfer

  • Generally, the company must secure physical premises to house the Canadian operation, particularly in the case of specialized knowledge. However, in specific cases involving senior managers or executives, it would be acceptable that the address of the new start-up not yet be secured; for example, the company may use its counsel’s address until the executive can purchase or lease a premise.
  • The company must furnish realistic plans to staff the new operation.
  • The company must have the financial ability to commence business in Canada and compensate employees.
  • When transferring executives or managers, the company must
    • demonstrate that it will be large enough to support executive or management function.
  • When transferring a specialized knowledge worker, the company must
    • demonstrate that it is expected to be doing business;
    • ensure that work is guided and directed by management at the Canadian operation.

Required Documents for ICT Canada

The following documentation is required:

  1. confirmation that the foreign national is currently employed by a multi-national enterprise outside Canada, and seeking entry to work in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of that enterprise in Canada;
  2. confirmation that the foreign national has been employed (via payroll or by contract) continuously (full-time, not accumulated part-time) by the enterprise outside Canada, in a similar full-time position, for at least one year within the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application;
  3. outline of the applicant’s position in an executive or managerial capacity or one involving specialized knowledge (i.e. position, title, place in the organization, job description);
  4. in the case of “specialized knowledge”, evidence that the person has such knowledge and that the position in Canada requires such knowledge;
  5. outline of the position in Canada (namely, position, title, place in the organization, job description);
  6. indication of intended duration of stay; and
  7. description of the relationship between the enterprise in Canada and the enterprise in the foreign country (the officer may request tangible proof to establish the relationship between the Canadian and foreign organization wishing to make the transfer).

Canada ICT Visa Processing Time

Intra Company Transfer Canada Processing Time: 2 – 10 weeks

The average time for the Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) is 2 to 10 weeks but there are priority processing options. Those who are qualified for the 2-week processing time will get the Intra-Company Transfer visa within 2 weeks. This priority processing option is for visa-exempt countries (biometrics processing is not included in these 2 weeks).

How Long is the Intra-Company Transfer Visa Valid?

The Intra-Company Transfer work permit is valid for one year. If you want to renew the work permit through Intra-Company Transfer you must provide evidence that:

  • The Canadian and foreign companies still have a qualifying relationship
  • The new office has engaged in the continuous provisions of goods or services for the past year
  • The new office has been staffed.

C11 Work Visa for Entrepreneurs and Self

If you’re an entrepreneur or self-employed person wanting to work in Canada and eventually become a permanent resident, the C11 entrepreneur work visa is an option to explore.

Learn more about the C11 Work Visa

C10 Work Visa - Significant Benefit to Canada

Approval of a significant benefit LMIA-exempt work permit requires demonstration of considerable social, cultural or economic
contributions to Canada. Our team of professional business plan writers create business plans in full alignment
with your immigration strategy, increasing your chance of case success.
Learn more about the C10 Work Visa

Intra Company Transfer FAQ

What is intra company transfer visa?

The Intra Company Transfer Visa allows high-skilled foreign workers to temporarily work in Canada under a company that owns a buiness branch in Canada.

How long does intra company transfer take in Canada?

The Intra Company Transfer Canada Visa takes somewhere between 2-10 weeks.

Can Intra Company Transfer apply for PR in Canada?

Yes, eventually a person who is working in Canada under the ICT can apply for Canada PR.

Does Intra Company Transfer need LMIA?

No! Qualified intra-company transferees require work permits and are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) under paragraph R205(a) (exemption code C12) as they provide significant economic benefit to Canada through the transfer of their expertise to Canadian businesses.
Source: IRCC

Can ICT visa be transferred to another company?

You can update your active visa with a new job if it is with the same employer but if you wish to change employers then you will need to reapply for an ICT.

Need Intra-Company Transfer Help?

The first step towards moving to Canada through an ICT is to get an assessment of your specific situation. Call us today at 1.877.296.0874 for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form.