Can a US Citizen Work in Canada 2020

By Michael Niren November 8, 2012 (Updated January 6, 2021) 2 min. read
American working in Canada

**Update on Coronavirus and Canadian Work Permit: Canada is still accepting work permit applications.

Regardless of the legal ability to do so, work permit holders should consider the public health crisis in Canada. If it is at all possible to delay travel to Canada, it is advisable to do so.

Keep in mind, this depends on the type of work permit you’ve received and your date of issue. According to official guidelines published by IRCC on March 26, temporary workers who hold a valid work permit or who are approved for a work permit but have not yet been issued the work permit (holding a Letter of Introduction) may still enter Canada.

For more updates on the Coronavirus, visit our page on the impact the Coronavirus has had on Canadian immigration.**

Americans Working in Canada

If you are an American citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit or apply to work in Canada under the Skilled Worker Program, which could eventually lead to permanent residency.

Obtaining a Canadian Work Permit for Americans

Thanks to the USMCA (United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement), it is much easier for a United States citizen to obtain a work permit in Canada. However, there are still requirements that must be met. These requirements include:

You may also be required to obtain a positive LMO. This is also called a Labour Market Opinion, and your employer will obtain this on your behalf while giving you a copy for your work permit application. This assures the Canadian government that there are no Canadians available to fill the job you’ve been offered.

Americans Applying Under the Skilled Worker Program

If you would like to work in Canada but would like to use your work experience as a pathway to permanent residency, you could also consider the Skilled Worker Program. To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Program, you will need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in a management occupation, a professional and related occupation, a technical occupation, skilled trade or paraprofessional occupation. You will also need to determine your eligibility based on the program’s point system, which measures certain criteria such as your language proficiency, work experience and age.

Are You a US Citizen Looking to Work in Canada?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are part of the VisaPlace team. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for VisaPlace Legal an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.