What Are Your US Work Visa Options?

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hi, my name is Michael Niren. I’m an immigration lawyer and founder of
VisaPlace.com. We got a question today about, “What are my options for
getting a work visa to the US?”

US Work Visa Options

Well, there are a number of options that are available, depending upon your
situation. A popular option would be a H1B visa. An H1B visa is for people
who have what is called specialty occupations, usually require a college or
university degree and have a job offer in the United States that is
consistent with your education.

The thing with H1Bs is that every year, there is an annual cap of H1Bs and
you can apply in April 1st of a given year and there’s a mad rush for
application. So if you qualify for an H1B or you want to apply for an H1B
or you want to apply for an H1B, you better do it right on the mark on
April 1st because if you wait too longer, there’s a possibility that there
won’t be any H1Bs available.

Another popular option for Canadians is a TN visa. Again, it’s usually for
individuals who have a college or university degree. But not necessarily.
There are some occupations that don’t require that. The trick for a TN visa
is that you have to have an occupation on a list of occupations at the
appendix of the NAFTA agreement. It’s a pretty short list. So you have to
have that kind of occupation. Also, you need a job offer. A TN visa is very
advantageous because you can get it very quickly. There are no caps. You
can apply for the visa right at the border, the Canada/US border, which is
a great and quick way of getting a visa.

Other options would be what we call the L visa or L1 visa and that is
really for people who are being transferred from a foreign company to an
American company, in most cases. So you work for the foreign company for at
least one year and, typically, you should be either an executive, a manger
or person of specialized knowledge where you would then be transferred to
the US company. So that’s an option, too.

So those are what I would consider the main options. There is also the
investor visa as well, E-visas. Where you could invest in a business or
start a business in the US and get a visa that way.

Let Us Help With Your US Work Visa Options

So that’s a very high-level general overview of what is available. There are
of course other visas, but those are the most common; at least the ones
that we see in terms of applying for a US visa.

Contact our experienced team today, and let us help you with your US work visa.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago