Changing Temporary Status to Canada PR: Eligibility

By Sierra September 16, 2020 3 min. read
canada pr

Have you been in Canada on a temporary status but interested in permanent residency in Canada? Whether your first step is a study permit or work permit, many individuals come to Canada with different goals as Canada has tons of opportunities to offer to newcomers. Usually, individuals on a temporary status are looking for Canada PR down the road or taking it all the way to citizenship!

Canada PR lets an individual live permanently in Canada. There is a lot to learn about Canadian permanent residency including the benefits that come with it, but let’s talk about those individuals that have temporary status in Canada at this time and interested in changing their status to PR!

Canada PR Requirements

To be eligible for Canada PR, you must:

Been in Canada for more than 5 years: you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past 5 years.

Been in Canada for less than 5 years: you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within 5 years of the date you become a permanent resident.

Temporary Status to Canada PR

Work Permit

Applying for permanent residency through a work permit is very common and there are a few options when planning to do so.

The following work permit programs available for permanent residency are:

Be sure to look into these work permit programs when immigrating to Canada, especially if you are interested in permanent Canada PR in the future!

Study Permit

As an international student in Canada looking for permanent residency, you have very similar options to those with a work permit. The best way to successfully obtain permanent residency with a study permit in Canada is to apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program and then applying for permanent residency.

You find international students commonly applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) to eventually receive PR.

Visitor Visa

It’s very rare to successfully adjust your temporary status to permanent residency with a tourist/visitor visa but there are some exceptions. Usually, the only way to do this is to qualify for as a refugee or have a partner that is a Canadian citizen.

BUT, it is possible to change your visitor visa into a work visa! This is when an individual finds a job in Canada and followed the procedures for securing a work permit. Many applicants find that they have to return to their home country due to the processing time of a work visa.

Interested in Canada PR?

If you find yourself seeking permanent residency in Canada, Contact VisaPlace today. All of our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.