Immigrating to the United States by marriage

Immigration through marriage is called spousal sponsorship. The United States allows United States citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their foreign spouses to come to the United States as permanent residents. This can be an extremely worthwhile application for married couples. Spousal Sponsorship to the US

However, there are also a few things that you need to be aware of if you are planning on immigrating to the United States via spousal sponsorship or you are planning on sponsoring a spouse. For one, this is a very difficult application to undertake and the process can be complex and long-term.

There are also two different ways of applying to immigrate to the United States as a United States citizen spouse.

How to immigrate to the United States by marriage

Method 1: If the foreign spouse is already in the United States and is married to a United States citizen, they can apply for an Adjustment of Status. This is for individuals who are already in the United States and have legal status such as those on work permits, visitors or students. They can fill out an Adjustment of Status (AOS) application as well as the other standard spousal sponsorship forms. Please note that the applicant cannot leave the United States while their application to adjust their status is in process unless they apply for advance permission first.

Method 2: This is for applicants who live outside of the United States, where they will usually remain while their application is being processed. This is done through the United States consulate in their home country.

Are you someone who wants to sponsor your spouse to the United States, or a foreign national who has married a United States citizen and wishes to immigrate to the United States? We can help you! Give us a call at the number above to speak with a licensed immigration attorney.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago