How to Sponsor a Spouse to the United States

spousal sponsorship

One of the most popular ways of immigrating to the United States is through marriage to an American citizen or American permanent resident (green card holder). When you marry a United States citizen or green card holder, they are able to sponsor you to come to the United States as a permanent resident yourself.

However, spousal or family sponsorship is a difficult and lengthy process. Your sponsor will have to demonstrate that they have the means to be financially responsible for you, and you will both need to provide evidence to demonstrate your marriage is legitimate and not just for immigration purposes.

There are two main ways someone can apply.

How Your Spouse Can Sponsor You to Come to the United States

Method 1: If the spouse is outside of the United States, they would apply via the consular processing application method. The spouse will typically remain outside of the United States while the application is processed, and then the application will be forwarded to the United States consulate in the spouse’s country.

Method 2: The second method is the Adjustment of Status method which is for applicants who are already in the United States. These applicants are usually visitors or are on temporary visas such as work permits or student visas and they end up marrying a United States citizen. In these applications the applicant changes their status.

Do You Want to Learn More About How to Sponsor a Spouse to the US ?

Spousal sponsorship can be an especially nerve-wracking process because there is so much on the line! In order to set yourself up for the best chance of success, please speak with a licensed immigration lawyer at Niren & Associates before you apply.

Contact us to help you explore your options and help you prepare your application so that you are not denied because of an error or omission.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Fageem

    Hi, I am a married US Citizen, and I want to sponsor my Wife who is living in Canada. What are the necessary steps for me to take to sponsor her?

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Fageem,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! We would love to help you sponsor your wife so that she can immigrate to the US. First, we need to take a closer look at your case. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  • khalid

    hi: iam new to the united states with single marital status and i haven’t got my green card yet and my wife lives in canada, now i want to sponsor my wife to the united states how can i start the process?, and we already have a child. is this possible for my wife to live in the united states during the process.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Khalid. You wrote that you are single and you have a wife. It is not clear what your situation is. What is you immigration status in the US?
      Regards, Vahe

      • Anonymous

        i have immigrant visa here in the united states for permanent resident and soon i will get my green card, i meant i came here as a single but originally i am not single but i’m married and we have a kid too, my wife and daughter they both live in canada.

        • Vahe Mirzoyan

          This is very serious. You need to talk with a legal immigration professional to see how to fix your problem. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
          Regards, Vahe

  • Rin popz

    Hi mu husband is US citizen and i m permanent resident in canada .My case is approved for spousal sponsorship to US .now how long will it take for interview and visa .

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Rin. You can apply for a K-3 visa that will allow you to live and work in the US while your I-130 is being processed. This would be the fastest way to get achieve your goal of being in the US.
      Regards, Vahe

  • shobhit

    Hi, my girlfriend is in India but has a B1 visa. I am getting my US citizenship in another 5 months, i applied for it just now, after finishing 5 years as GC holder. I am thinking to bring her on her B1 visa, and then marryionmg her here, and apply for adjustment of status directly versus going through consular processing. can you tell me pros and cons for the same?

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Shobhit. Thank you for writing to us. Your strategy is certainly doable, but there are legal technicalities that you will need to be aware of. Our team of US immigration lawyers will certainly be able to advise you. I am going to recommend that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to help you plan the best strategy for you and your fiancee. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTTin the last week

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyia week ago

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa month ago