Top 10 Things To Do Before Applying for US Spousal Sponsorship
Certain rules in the United States allow permanent residents applying for citizenship through marriage to become naturalized in about three years. The majority of permanent residents must live in the United States for a minimum of five years before applying for citizenship. However, the spouse of a United States citizen who resides in the United States may be eligible to file Form N-400 (Application for Naturalization) on the basis of his or her marriage after just three years. If you are a U.S. citizen, you have two ways to bring your foreign spouse (husband or wife) to the United States to live. These include:
- Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1) – An immigrant Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-30 is required.
- Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) – It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place. After the visa process has been completed, and the visa is issued, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case. Two petitions are required: Petition Alien Relative, Form I-130, and Petition for Alien Fiance, Form I-129F.
Although there are several requirements in order to apply for Spousal Sponsorship, here are some things you can do to improve your application!
1. Maintain a permanent home in the U.S.
2. Have employment or attend school in the U.S.
3. Be continuously residing in the United States as a permanent resident for at least three years.
4. Live in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse for at least three years.
5. Be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the 3 years.
6. File tax returns in the U.S.
7. Maintain community ties in the U.S. Join a neighborhood watch, a local club, or volunteer at a food shelter.
8. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history and principles and form of government in the U.S.
9. Demonstrate an understanding of the English language, including ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage. There are several programs that will offer classes to immigrants to help them with the English language.
10. Demonstrate good moral character for at least three years prior to filing the application. Don’t get arrested or have any record of bad behavior while living in the United States.
If you and your spouse follow these 10 actions, your application has a much higher chance of being accepted for Spousal Sponsorship!
Do you want to apply for Spousal Sponsorship?
Fill out our FREE online immigration assessment, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK!
What steps are you taking to improve your application?
Comment below, we want to hear your opinion hear your opinion!
About Immigration Lawyers
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.