To see our website filtered by a specific destination, select the country: You are viewing content related to . To view a specific destination, . To view a specific destination, click here

US Green Card for Family Preference Immigrants

Sponsor your kids, step-children, brothers, sisters, etc. to live in the United States as a permanent resident (a green card holder). Find out how to apply for US family sponsorship for those in the family sponsorship category.

Interested in immigrating to the United States?
Fill out our immigration assessment form today.

US Immigration laws allow family members of US Citizens and lawful permanent residents to become permanent residents of the US and obtain a green card. The categories under family preference that you can apply for which include:

  1. First Preference (F1) – unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of US citizens
  2. Second preference (F2A) – spouses and children (unmarried and under 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents
  3. Second preference (F2B) – unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of lawful permanent residents
  4. Third preference (F3) – married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  5. Fourth preference (F4) – brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age and older)

Family Preference Sponsorship Requirements

  • You properly file Form I-485
  • You were inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled into the United States
  • You are physically present in the United States at the time you file your Form I-485
  • You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available to you at the time you file your Form I-485 and at the time we make a final decision on your application 
  • The relationship to the family member who filed Form I-130, for you still exists

Bars to Adjustment

You may be barred from adjusting status depending on how you entered the United States or if you committed a particular act or violation of immigration law. 

Grounds of Inadmissibility

To qualify for a Green Card, you must be admissible to the United States. In general,  your Green Card application can only be approved if none of the grounds of inadmissibility apply to you.

How To Apply

If you are currently in the United States, an immigrant visa is immediately available to you as a family preference immigrant, and you meet certain other requirements, you may file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status to apply for a Green Card without leaving the country. If a visa is immediately available, you may file your Form I-485:

  • Together (“concurrently”) with Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative filed on your behalf;
  • While the Form I-130 is pending; or
  • After the Form I-130 is approved (and remains valid).

Why Legal Help for Family Sponsorship is Important

Although the concept of family sponsorship seems straightforward, there are many exceptions and details of which to be aware. Instead of risking having your efforts rejected due to a missing detail on a document or an ineligible scenario, we recommend consulting with an experienced legal attorney who knows how to properly prepare successful family sponsorship applications.

Why Hire Us to Assist Your Family Sponsorship US Case?

Since there are a limited amount of visas available under the Family Preference category, getting the application right the first time is vital. Even though there are unlimited visas available for immediate relatives, an application needs to be prepared properly. We have helped thousands of individuals to successfully get U.S. permanent residence through family-based petitions, and we can help you too!