Immigrating to the US when you marry a US citizen

Immigrating to the US when you marry a US citizen

Did you know that when a United States citizen or United States permanent resident marries a foreign national, the United States citizen or permanent resident can sponsor that foreign national for a green card?

This method of immigration is called spousal sponsorship, as the United States citizen or permanent resident sponsors the foreign national to come to the United States by assuming financial responsibility for them. Sponsors have to meet several strict requirements when they apply to sponsor a spouse, including that they have the financial means to take care of them. In addition, there are multiple ways of sponsoring someone to the United States depending on whether the sponsored spouse is inside the United States or not at the time of applying.

Two ways to immigrate to the United States as a US citizen spouse

If you are the spouse of a United States citizen or permanent resident, you can apply to come to the United States one of two ways.

If you are currently in the United States on a temporary visa such as a work permit, visitor visa or study permit, you can apply within the United States to adjust your status via an Adjustment of Status application along with the spousal sponsorship application your spouse will submit. If you go this route you cannot leave the United States while your application is in process unless you file for advance permission to.

The other method of applying for permanent residence in the United States as a US citizen spouse is to apply at your local United States consulate in your country, and you will likely remain in your country while your application is in process.

Do you want to sponsor a spouse to come to the United States, or immigrate to the United States as a sponsored spouse? Please contact our immigration law firm for assistance with your application.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTTa week ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyi2 weeks ago

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa month ago