Permanent Resident Card: The Canadian Green Card

Canadian Green CardMany people refer to the Canadian permanent resident card as the Canadian green card, because it is so similar to the green card given to permanent residents in the United States.

What is a Permanent Resident?

People who have legally immigrated to Canada on a permanent basis are called permanent residents and they are given a permanent resident card. There are several different ways someone can become a permanent resident of Canada.

How to Become a Permanent Resident of Canada

Category 1: You can have a family member or spouse sponsor you to become a permanent resident of Canada, depending on their personal status (if they are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada) and their relationship to you.

Category 2: There is a program called the Canadian Experience Class that exists so that international students and temporary foreign workers can use their Canadian experience they’ve obtained to become permanent residents.

Category 3: There are several business immigration and investor immigration programs available to foreign nationals who wish to become permanent residents of Canada.

Category 4: The Skilled Worker Program offers applicants a chance for permanent residency in Canada based on their own skills and credentials.

What are the Benefits of Being a Permanent Resident?

Permanent residents of Canada can eventually apply for Canadian citizenship, but being a permanent resident of Canada is in and of itself a fantastic opportunity. There are many benefits to being a permanent resident of Canada, including being able to leave and re-enter Canada freely while residing anywhere you like in Canada. These are just a couple of the reasons that many people from all over the world apply to become Canadian permanent residents every year – but it is not easy.

Make Sure to Find the Right Method For You

All of the methods for becoming a permanent resident of Canada have strict requirements. To be sure you’ve found the one that’s right for you, contact us. All of VisaPlace’s cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. If you have immigration questions, we may have the answers you seek.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago