How to Get Canadian Temporary Work Permits for Permanent Residency

Canadian Temporary Work Permits for Permanent Residency

How to get Canadian temporary work permits for permanent residency may be a nagging question for any non-Canadian working in the country through a temporary work permit. The uncertainty of what happens when that permit expires is very real. What is to stop the government from deporting the expired permit holder? Or, more importantly, what can be done to prevent removal from Canada? In scenarios like this, it’s good to know the facts.

The path to permanent residency in Canada can be daunting in its complexity. However, a temporary work permit can actually be a stepping stone towards permanent residency. In some ways, the possession of a temporary work permit can ease a permanent residency candidate’s overall application experience. For an individual who is already in Canada on a work permit, there are several paths to transforming one’s temporary status to permanent residency.

The Provincial Nominee Program

Through the Provincial Nominee Program, for instance, foreign workers are nominated for permanent residency by employers, but each program can be different across provinces. Most of these applicants must be highly skilled for certain jobs, although some provinces involve a select few unskilled occupations for this program as well.

The Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class also allows applicants to apply for permanent resident status. People with temporary resident permits who are looking to become permanent residents using the Canadian Experience Class need to have either two years of work experience in Canada already or have completed one year of post-secondary studies as well as one year of work.

Temporary Residents

Temporary residents have the advantage of already being in the country legally, as well as being gainfully employed and (hopefully) adapting to Canadian culture.

However, that does not guarantee that the way ahead isn’t fraught with challenges. Canadian laws can change at almost any given time, depending on the economic or political conditions of the day. It is natural for the uncertainty of temporary residency to be a burden. The same may be said for anyone attempting to transfer from temporary worker status to permanent residency. While the work of getting to work in Canada has already been done, that does not mean the temporary resident is now an expert in Canadian immigration law. It is because of this fact that it is always advisable to consult an immigration expert who can guide the worker through the rough waters leading to permanent residency.

What if a Worker is Fired or Laid Off?

Say a temporary worker in Canada wants to become a permanent resident and preparing to enter the Provincial Nominee Program. Then the worker is told by the employer that the worker’s services are no longer required by the company. In a situation like this, the worker must find another way to satisfy his standing as a temporary worker applying for the program that will lead to permanent residency, and even small mistakes can be costly or catastrophic. An immigration expert can help maintain the client’s momentum toward the goal of permanent residency. Furthermore, the temporary worker will be able to concentrate more on completing the program or getting a new sponsor, depending on the circumstances.

The scenarios around failure to renew one’s temporary work permit can be bleak. Some people begin families in Canada without citizenship. If their work permits expire, they may be forced to leave the country, potentially separating the worker from his or her spouse and children for extended periods of time. Programs such as the Provincial Nominee Program or the Canadian Experience Class are in place to hopefully mitigate consequences like these, as well as retain the talent of the workers whose skills are of benefit to the country.

Temporary workers may not yet be permanent residents or citizens, but having achieved that status is proof that the person is qualified to be in the country and is beneficial to it. However, if you feel that Canada is the right place for you to live permanently, then it is incumbent upon you to acquaint yourself with the paths toward permanent residency that are available to you through your temporary worker permit.

And yet, an immigration expert may be able to find better immigration streams if they prove necessary, such as a spousal sponsorship. There are innumerable possibilities if you have the most knowledgeable support. That is why it is crucial to find immigration experts who are respected and trustworthy, and whose primary focus is on the Canadian immigration process.

Work With an Experienced Expert

Are you interested in immigrating to the U.S. or moving to Canada? Contact VisaPlace today.

All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Click here to book a consultation with an immigration professional or fill out our FREE assessment and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Ben


    I am currently doing my Masters in Chemical Engineering at UBC. I graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in May 2015 and applied for the Postgraduation Work Permit then. I understand that it will expire by the time I finish my master degree and cannot apply for another PGWP.

    I understand that I can apply for PR through BC PNP after completing my masters degree which would take 2-3 months to be approved. My questions is, will I be eligible to apply for another open work permit when my nomination is approved to stay in Canada while waiting for my PR application.

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Ben,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! With your advanced degree and work experience, you may qualify for Canadian PR. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  • Manish Poojary

    Hi this is manish poojary I have did my bechlor degree in culinary and worked 6 years in India now I am in USA j1 visa kindly assist me regarding Canadian visa and process for work permit

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Manish. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you after we learn about all the details of your current situation and background. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-416-410-7484 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  • deepak singh rana

    hi sir this is deepak singh im working in carnival cruice line as a chef i wana go canada im looking for work visa will i get??
    i have 7 year of expirience in hospitality industury what should i do for work permit
    i worked many of hotel and restaurant in india now i am working in united state in carnival cruice line
    i wont to know what is the first steps for canadian work visa
    thank u

    deepak singh

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Deepak. You will first need a job offer from a Canadian company. You can search the Canadian job boards such as or . Once you have your job offer, we can help you obtain the work visa that you will need to come to Canada.
      Regards, Muga

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillain the last week

I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright

Hannah James2 weeks ago

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugha month ago