The government of Canada is continuously implementing programs that will help Canadian employers to meet the challenges in labor demand, new market developments, and the increasing innovations locally and globally.

The programs are carried out bearing the concept that immigrants, foreign workers, foreign students, Canadian residents who are citizens of other countries can contribute to Canadian labor market using their worthy skills.

Under certain programs, Canadian employers are permitted to bring to the country foreign workers either for a temporary or a full time position.

Types of Visas to Work in Canada

There are several government programs that are available to Canadian employers who like to hire special types of workers from other countries.

1. Temporary Foreign Worker Program

(TFWP) permits Canadian employers to temporarily meet the short-term labor shortage by hiring foreign workers. The Canadian employers can utilize the program for up to four years in hiring either high skilled workers or common laborers.

2. Federal Skilled Worker Program

(FSWP) is the program that also offers an opportunity for permanent immigration to Canada.

3. Provincial Nominee Program

(PNP) is a measure that gives Canadian provinces and territories a significant part in the selections and nominations for permanent residents who will comply with the specific needs of the local labor market. The program involves the following general category of workers:

  • Skilled workers
  • Semi-skilled workers
  • Business or investors
  • International student graduates
  • Family or community connections

4. Arranged Employment Opportunities

(AEO) may be offered to alien nationals recruited outside Canada, or to foreign employees who are presently employed in Canada as temporary foreign workers under Temporary Foreign Workers Program. Under AEO, Canadian employers have the advantage of immediately hiring skilled personnel.

5. Canadian Experience Class

(CEC) gives temporary foreign students who finished their studies in Canada, and foreign workers possessing the right combination of talent, knowledge, skills, and Canadian work experience to apply to permanently remain in Canada.

Applicants under Canadian Experience Class may continue to work in the country while their application for a permanent residency is being processed. The government is aware that employers can continue to receive the advantage of keeping the source of skilled talents. CEC is another efficient program that has a high rate of acceptance or approval.

6. International Student Program

(ISP) is a program that allows employers to hire foreign students under two (2) sub-programs

  • Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP) is for foreign citizens who studying full time at a qualified publicly funded higher educational institutions or at a private post-secondary schools in some programs.
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is intended for foreign students who have accomplished a program of at least 8 months in any participating Universities or Colleges in Canada.

7. Foreign Credentials Referral Office

(FCRO) is the institution that develops instruments for employers and regulatory agencies to assist them in integrating globally trained workers into Canadian labor market. This particular office specializes in Canada’s credential assessment processes.

Do You Want a Visa to Work in Canada?

There are seven programs through which you can live and work in Canada. If you are confused whether you qualify or not in one or any of the mentioned programs, the skilled immigration lawyers at Niren and Associates can help you determine whether you are an inch closer to achieving your dream of working in Canada.

Niren and Associates is an immigration firm with offices in Toronto and 9 other key locations in Canada.

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.