Is there a Retirement Visa for the United States?

USA retirement visa

Every year, many Canadian citizens flock to the United States in search of a warmer climate. Whether they only wish to spend their winters in the United States or they want to live in the United States permanently after they retire, they will have to do so through the proper channels and in the proper manner. Many Canadian citizens wonder if there is a USA retirement visa. As of right now there is no real retirement visa for Canadians who wish to live in the United States after they retire. However, Canadians do have options when it comes to living out their golden years in the United States.

Is there a USA Retirement Visa?

There is not a specific USA Retirement visa. Instead, someone who is interested in retiring to the United States would need to apply for a different type of visa. Unfortunately for Canadian citizens, there no Snowbird visa yet exists. Unlike other foreign nationals, Canadians may spend up to six months in the United States during any given year. They cannot stay past six months, but they can break up this six months in smaller increments if they wish.

However, once the six months are up you must return to the United States as you are not a permanent resident. In addition, if you stay longer than six months you risk losing your provincial health care coverage and ties to Canada.

If you are interested in retiring in the United States permanently, you can look into permanent residence in the United States. There are a number of different ways to obtain permanent residence in the United States, including having an employer or family member sponsor you for permanent residence.

What are my options for retiring to the United States?

Since there is no USA retirement visa, Canadians must consider other methods. One method that Canadian citizens can consider are E-visas. Canadians of retirement age may have enough net worth to make investments in a United States business, which could make them eligible for an E-Visa. For example, one could invest in a business and obtain an E-2 visa, which will allow you to remain in the United States for five years. In addition, this visa can be renewed which would allow you to remain in the US for longer.

If you have a higher net worth, you could consider the E-B5 visa, which leads to permanent residency but requires a higher investment than the E2 visa.

Do you want to retire in the United States? We can help you! Determining how you can retire in the United States is a complicated process, so speak with a licensed immigration lawyer before you make plans. Take our free assessment and someone will be in touch within 24 hours!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

This firm is top notch! They pulled together last minute to help me prepare for my TN visa application. They were patient, helpful and impeccably professional. Everything went smoothly, came off without a hitch & I was successful in my application. Highly recommended. Thank you VisaPlace!

Travis Birchin the last week

These guys are awesome. We had an awesome opportunity to work with Lisa Inspektor who remained very patient and provided very valuable and professional input and reviews through out my Visa application process. It is because of them that I was able to visit Canada with my husband and we can't Thank Lisa and her team enough for their professional services. Highly recommended!!

Ranjana Bandralin the last week

I cannot thank VisaPlace enough for their help. I had an issue with my immigration work that I needed professional help with. The team did a stellar job in making my case and I am greatly indebted to them. I worked directly with Alicea. She was extremely professional and responsive! Even after building my case and submitting my application, she was always available to answer any questions or concerns I had for several months after. I highly recommend the team and would come back in future if I have to. Thank you!

Arjun Mishrain the last week