Immigration to the US from Canada

Are you a Canadian who wishes to immigrate to the United States? Many Canadians immigrate to the United States every year, but not all of them do it the same way. In addition, Canadians cannot just pick up and move to the United States, instead they must go through the proper immigration channels. US Immigration

There are several different ways a Canadian citizen can go on to immigrate to the United States. To learn about them, read on.

Ways a Canadian can immigrate to the United States

1. Marrying a United States citizen. Marrying a citizen in the United States is one way to become a legal permanent resident of the United States, but you must be able to demonstrate that your marriage is a legitimate one.

2. You are highly skilled in a medical or scientific field, or other field that have very high levels of education that will allow you to obtain a suitable type of work visa to to live in the United States while working.

3. You are being transferred to the United States by your employer, using the L visas.

4. You are able to invest in the United States and have the money to do so, using E-visas.

5. You have a family member who can sponsor you, who is a United States citizen or green card holder. The relative must be an immediate family member with few exceptions, such as a sibling or parent.

While there are several different ways one can immigrate to the United States from Canada, it is not an easy process. Applicants will have to ensure that they meet all of the requirements for the path to immigration that they have chosen, and will have to be prepared to be investigated thoroughly. There are also a number of work visa options for people who wish to work and live in the United States on a temporary basis.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago