Getting a TN visa for the United States

If you have a job offer in the United States, you may have heard about the TN visa. This visa is a specific type of visa for the United States that is only available to Canadian citizens (not permanent residents) and citizens of Mexico. This visa can be a great opportunity for Canadians to work in the United States for a temporary period of time, and the visa can even be applied for at the border. However, the visa is not easy to obtain, and applicants will have to prove they meet the requirements.  TN visa for the United States 4

Eligibility for the TN Visa

Primarily, you must have a job offer in the United States that is in a professional field, as indicated on the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). Such occupations include doctors, medical professionals, scientists, engineers and more.

Your job offer needs to be formatted as a petition for the visa by your employer. In addition, you must be able to provide documents that prove you are qualified for the job, which can include your resume, your education transcripts, any applicable licenses or certificates and more.

Like all United States work visas, the TN visas is temporary. You must be able to prove you’ll be leaving and returning home to Canada at the end of your trip by showing documents that describe your strong ties to Canada.

Are you eligible for a TN visa and want to get started working in the United States as soon as possible? Do you have questions about your eligibility for the TN visa or any other United States work visa? We are available to help you with all of your United States immigration needs, including TN visa applications. We can be contacted using the e-mail contact form on the right, as well as using the telephone number at the top of the page.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.