What is needed to obtain a TN visa for the US?

A TN visa is a special type of United States work visa for individuals in professional occupations. These visas are available to Canadian citizens and citizens of Mexico, but not to permanent residents or other foreign nationals. TN Work Visa

This visa is a popular one because it can be obtained at the US-Canada border, and you avoid the traditional lengthy processing times associated with United States work visas. It also has no cap, meaning that there is an unlimited amount of them offered each year.

However, faster processing times does not equate to an “easy” United States work visa. The TN visa still has very strict requirements you must meet in order to obtain one.

Requirements for a TN Visa

The main requirement for a TN visa is that you have a job offer in a professional occupation, which is designated by the North American Free Trade Agreement. There are only certain types of jobs that qualify for the TN visa, but if your job does not appear on the list we still may be able to help you.

In addition to having a job offer in a professional occupation, you must have the relevant work experience and education that proves you are eligible for this job.

You will also need to bring several supporting documents with you when you apply for the visa, including proof that you have strong ties to Canada, and that you will return to Canada at the end of your stay in the United States. This proof can include property ownership information, employment information, family information and more. A copy of your resume and credentials are also necessary, as well as a valid Canadian passport that will not expire for at least three years.

You should also have your TN documentation reviewed by an immigration professional, such as a licensed immigration lawyer. This can ensure that you are ready to go and that you have the best change of success in having your application being approved, without worrying about being denied at the border.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago