Reminders for Canadians Seeking TN Visas and L1 Visas for the United States


New Option for Canadians who need a TN Visa for the United States

Formerly, Canadians could apply for a TN Visa with the United States Customs and Border Protection and could only apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with respect to a TN Visa if they were applying to extend the TN visa or try and change their status to a TN visa. 

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently announced that those who want to petition for a TN visa on behalf of a Canadian citizen (Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker) can now do so with USCIS.

“Canadian citizens continue to have the option of applying to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for TN classification in conjunction with an application for TN admission to the United States,” said the release.

A reminder from the USCIS about L1 Visa Applications for the United States

The same release also served as a reminder to United States employers that they can also file their individual petitions of L1 visas with the USCIS – the Form I-129S, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L petition.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services is accepting applications and supporting documents.

Do you need help with your L1 Visa application or your TN Visa application? We can help you prepare your application for the best chance of success when obtaining a visa to the United States.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

2 thoughts on “Reminders for Canadians Seeking TN Visas and L1 Visas for the United States

  1. Julia Qin

    Hi, I have a question. I am a Canadian citizen. Can I apply for L1 instead of TN. The reason is I need to go to US from other countries. And also I heard that L1 status is easy to get green card. TN can not apply for green card. Is that right?

    1. Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Julia,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! You may be eligible for an L1 visa, and we would love to help you during this process. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.