What is the Medical Exam for Canadian Permanent Residents?

Depending on your application for immigration to Canada, you may be required to undergo a medical exam. In Canada, permanent residents usually have to undergo a medical exam, which will determine if the person’s health is a danger to the public or will be an excessive demand on Canadian health and social services. This can include things such as learning disabilities, autism and other conditions that may require additional health care or social services.

In most cases, applicants should receive instructions on how to take a medical examination after their application is submitted.

Medical Examination Deadline for Canadian Immigration Applications

The results of your medical examination are only valid for 12 months. If more than this amount of time passes between the examination and your application, you will have to take it again.

Medical Practitioners for Canadian Immigration

When getting a medical exam for immigration purposes, you can only use specific doctors. These doctors have been approved for immigration medical exams by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This list of doctors who can do an immigration medical examination is available here.

Information on Medical Examinations for Canadian Immigration

After undergoing a medical examination for immigration to Canada, the doctor will not inform you of the results of the exam unless you have a serious health problem that requires immediate medical attention. The doctor will not provide a “pass” or “fail” grade on your exam, but instead passes all of the information along to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, who will make the final decision. If there is a problem, you will be told in writing.

Keep in mind, that medical examination rules for permanent residency applications and medical examination rules for temporary residents, visitors and students are different.

Speak to a Licensed Immigration Lawyer

If you are not sure whether you need to undergo a medical examination in order to immigrate to Canada, speak to a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as possible to determine everything you need to have for your application. Contact us now – we can help!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • kidney stones

    I have searched the world over for this information.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.