New Canadian immigration program expansion for newcomers

Last week, Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced a new program intended to provide new immigrants with ways to get temporary work experience relevant to their occupational fields.

These work placements will be within the Federal government in order to help newcomers have a smoother transition into the Canadian workforce.

“Newcomers are key to building a stronger Canada,” said Minister Kenney, “The Federal Internship for Newcomers program helps immigrants use their skills in the Canadian labour market as they begin their new lives in Canada.”

About 60 interns are expected to participate in the fall intake with recently added fields like science, communication, translation and finance.

Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, said in a press release that, “Our government is committed to helping newcomers succeed. This program is an example of how we are taking action so that newcomers can maximize their talents and contribute to Canada’s long-term economic success.”

The program itself has been in place in previous years through Citizenship and Immigration Canada, but this year the number of interns is doubling and many more government departments are participating like Health Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency. The program expansion follows a Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration recommendation, and other departments in addition to the new ones participating have expressed interest in taking on immigrant interns in future years.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Manoj Aggarwal


    I am applying for a Work Permit because I have an internship at the University of Calgary. Do I need an LMO?

    • Dear Manoj Aggarwal,

      If you are a student in Canada and your internship is a co-op work placement as part of your program of study, no labour market opinion is required.

      Thank you.

  • tariq seraj

    I want to apply for a Work Permit from Pakistan. Please tell me what the general procedure is, where I can get the forms and required document lists and fees. Please also guide me temperory work experience category.


    • Dear Tariq,

      You may apply for your work permit as soon as you receive a job offer letter or as soon as you receive an HRSDC confirmation. In support of your application, you are required to submit proof of identity, proof of employment in Canada, and any additional documents that supports your case along with the completed application forms (i.e. IMM 5487). In some cases, you might be required to go through a medical examination.

      You must submit your application to the Canadian visa office responsible for your area. Since you are applying from Pakistan, you can consult the visa office in Islamabad. After reviewing your application, an officer will decide if an interview is necessary. If so, you will be informed of the time and place.If your application is refused, you will be informed in writing.

      If your application is approved, you will receive a letter confirming the approval. If your application is refused, you will be informed in writing.

      Thank you.

  • Hi Mr. Singh,

    To apply for a Work Permit from India, you need to fill out forms, gather all required documents (i.e. your job offer letter and proof that you meet the requirements of the job being offered), and submit your application package to the Canadian visa office responsible for your area. Please contact our office for more information about your Work Permit application.

    Thank you.

  • harpreet singh

    Please let me know how I can apply for a Work Permit from India. Can your firm help me with this? My mobile number is 00919872216188 and email address is

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago