The Trump administration announced a new travel restriction on individuals from the following countries: Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen. The new restrictions are to replace the controversial travel ban created earlier this year. “Making America safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet,” President Trump tweeted moments after the administration released the new travel restrictions.
On Sunday night, the White House called the new restrictions a “critical step toward establishing an immigration system that protects Americans’ safety and security in an era of dangerous terrorism and transnational crime.” In the statement, Donald Trump also said “we can not afford to continue the failed policies of the past, which present an unacceptable danger to our country. My highest obligation is to ensure the safety and security of the American people, and in issuing this new travel order, I am fulfilling that sacred obligation.”
According to the restrictions, no current valid issued green cards, visas or travel documents will be revoked; they will still be valid. The last travel ban was limited to 90 days, but these new travel restrictions are indefinite. The Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, said in a statement that with the new restrictions, “the President is carrying out his duty to protect the American people.” Tillerson also added, “the State Department will coordinate with other federal agencies to implement these measures in an orderly manner.”
Many people are still upset by the restrictions, one of them being the executive director of the ACLU, Anthony D. Romero. “Six of President Trump’s targeted countries are Muslim. The fact that Trump has added North Korea — with few visits to the US — and a few government officials from Venezuela doesn’t obfuscate the real fact that the administration’s order is still a Muslim ban. President Trump’s original sin of targeting Muslims cannot be cured by throwing other countries onto his enemies list.” During Trump’s campaign, he called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.” He has held his stand on not letting in who he believes to be a threat to the United States. The US Supreme Court is scheduled to review the travel restrictions later this year.