The Visas Behind TLC’s Show 90 Day Fiance

By Ella Bergquist June 16, 2020 (Updated July 28, 2020) 2 min. read
90 day fiance

The TLC network has a very popular show called the 90 Day Fiance which is based on the immigration process of the K-1 Visa. The show debuted in January 2014 and has 7 seasons and 79 episodes. The show follows the lives of international couples who have applied or are applying for the K-1 Visa. The K-1 Visa allows US citizens to sponsor their fiance(e) to legally enter and live in the United States. However, the catch is that they must marry within 90 days of arriving in the US. After they marry then they may apply for a marriage green card in a process known as an adjustment of status. Once they adjust their status the foreign national will now be a legal permanent resident of the United States.

K-1 Visa Qualifications

Sometimes the 90 Day Fiance doesn’t show how extensive the application process for the K-1 can be. In order to qualify for a K-1 Visa the international couple must meet special criteria:

90 Day Fiance Visa

Failure to Marry Within 90 Days

Sometimes the 90 Day Fiance show doesn’t exactly go as planned and the couples do not marry. So what does this mean? It is called “Failure to Marry Within 90 Days”. K-1 visas automatically expire after the 90 days and cannot be extended for any reason. If you did not marry within the 90 days then the foreign fiance(e) and his or her children must leave the United States at the end of the 90 days. If they do not depart then they will be in violation of the US Immigration Law which will result in removal or deportation which could affect their future eligibility for any further visits to the US.

Green Card After Marriage on 90 Day Fiance

After entering the United States on the K-1 Visa and marrying a US Citizen the foreign fiance(e) can apply for a lawful permanent resident status in the United States. There are several requirements to qualify for an adjustment of status after marrying within the US. Learn more about the requirements of the Green card Marriage.

If you married in the US under the K-1 Visa then you will want to adjust your status as soon as possible to stay in the US. In order to qualify for the US Marriage Green Card there are several documents required. Learn more about the US Marriage Green Card.

Hiring an Immigration Lawyer for K-1 Visa or Marriage Green Card

As you can see from above there is an extensive list of required documents for both K-1 Visa as well as the Adjustment of Status Marriage Green Card. Hiring a US Immigration Lawyer can help you organize your documents and get the best possible outcome for your visas. The USCIS is extremely strict with Marriage Fraud cases so they take a very close look at every relationship that applies for these types of visas. Book a consultation with one of VisaPlace’s US Immigration Professionals today to start your immigration process!