Are You Marrying a Canadian Citizen? Deportation May Be in the Cards…

By Michael Niren December 9, 2019 1 min. read

Many people mistakenly think that marrying a Canadian citizen automatically grants them Canadian citizenship or permanent residence in Canada, but this is not the case. In fact, not properly following suit after you marry a Canadian citizen can result in your deportation from Canada.

Woman Being Deported From Canada After Living in Canada 15 Years

A Hamilton woman is facing deportation from Canada after making the mistake of not applying for permanent residence after marrying a Canadian citizen in 1997. Her non-immigration status was found out when she was applying for jobs and applied for a work permit. When the permit was denied, steps to have her deported from Canada began. The woman, Lucene Charles, applied to stay in Canada as a refugee and then under humanitarianmarrying-a-canadian-citizen-deportation and compassionate grounds – she has three Canadian sons living here – but was denied. Coincidentally, she was approved for a work permit later as Canada has a program that allows people to work and support themselves while their refugee status is sorted out. She is currently working and supporting her family on her own.

Charles’ marriage to the Canadian eventually fell apart and she has a daughter from another relationship – who is not Canadian and also falls under the deportation order. Her sons, between the ages of 11 and 14, would either stay behind of face a life of poverty in her native St. Vincent with her and her daughter, where Charles says women are considered “nothing”. The case has sparked public outrage across Canada. You can catch a rare glimpse into the perspective of someone facing deportation from Canada by watching this video, which is in Charles’ own words. According to the video, her biggest regret is not sorting out her permanent residency – because her abusive marriage would not allow it.

Looking for Permanent Residency in Canada?

If you marry a Canadian citizen, realize that you must apply for permanent residency in Canada in order to gain legal status. This can be done by having your spouse sponsor you as a part of the Family Class Immigration Stream. Contact us to learn about how VisaPlace can help you.