Options For International Students in the US To Avoid Deportation

By Sierra July 13, 2020 (Updated July 15, 2020) 2 min. read
international students

UPDATE July 14, 2020: The Trump administration has rescinded its policy that would bar international students who only take online courses from staying in the US. International Students in the US should not be worried about being deported for taking online classes due to COVID-19. If you are concerned about your status in the US contact a US Immigration Professional.

Since the ICE made an announcement about international students in the US facing possible deportation because of coronavirus online course transition, many students are unsettled trying to figure out there next step and how to get around this policy.

On July 6th, ICE stated that international students who fall under specific categories “may not take a full online course load and remain in the United States” and “the U.S. Department of State will not issue visas to students enrolled in schools and/or programs that are fully online for the fall semester nor will U.S. Customs and Border Protection permit these students to enter the United States.”

Luckily there are some options that these individuals should look into if they have been impacted before returning to their home country!

International Student Options

Adjusting Status

B-2 Status: The best option for international students that are affected would be to apply for a change of status to a B-2 status for up to 6 months. This is a great choice for those that endure hardship regarding travel to their home country.

Marriage: Maybe you are in a relationship with a US citizen! International students looking to marry their American significant other soon can adjust their status to a marriage-based green card to stay in the US.

Work: It’s also important to look into other visa alternatives such as work permits. If individuals receive a work permit while in the US, they can stay and take classes with the work permit being the primary reason for being in the United States.

Withdrawal/Leave of Absence

Another option is to ask for early withdrawal or leave of absence from the course of studies, following with leaving the US immediately. Those taking this path should contact the DSO (Designated School Official) of the school. The student can then look into continuing/finishing studies in another country outside the US, perhaps Canada!

Getting in Trouble With ICE

It’s a good thing to know that you can contest the ICE if you are facing deportation with a removal hearing. Contesting deportation means appearing in front of a judge in court through the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) to ultimately receive removal relief.

Are you an International Student Needing Immigration Help?

If you find yourself affected by this announcement and need legal assistance, contact VisaPlace today. All of our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.