Canada and the US shut down their border March 21st only allowing trade, business, and temporary residents with valid visas to enter. The restriction to the border has been extended six times. The latest border closure has extended until October 21st, 2020. The border closure has definitely impacted both countries extensively but especially those who live near border towns or have family members in the counter country.
Entering Canada from the US Border During COVID-19 Closure
If you are attempting to come into Canada from the US then you must prove to the Canada Border Service Agency that you follow these three requirements:
- You are travelling for non-discretionary (essential) purpose or are only transiting or are an immediate family member.
- You are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- You have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless you are exempt.
If you are not an essential worker, passing through Canada, or an immediate family member then you should hire a Canadian Immigration Professional who will provide you with a Border Crossing Package.
If you are an immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident then you must meet the following requirements:
- You do not have COVID-19
- You do not have reason to believe you have COVID-19
- You do not have signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- You are entering to be with your immediate family member for a period of at least 15 days.
- You have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempt.
If you are a Student or Temporary Worker you may enter Canada if you prove that you meet one of the following:
- you currently live in Canada and have a valid work permit
- you are coming to Canada for the first time to begin work (employment) and
- you have a valid work permit or a work permit approval letter and
- you have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business
- you are eligible to apply for a work permit at a port of entry and have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business
Entering the US from Canada During COVID-19 Closure
The US is working closely with Canada to ensure that North America can combat the COVID-19 pandemic by closing the border temporarily. But what does this mean? This means that the US, Mexico, and Canada has temporarily restricted non-essential travel across borders.
United States citizens and lawful permanent residents may continue to enter the U.S. from Canada. Canadian nationals may continue to enter the U.S. from Canada provided they have not been physically present in China, Iran, Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the Schengen Area in the 14 days preceding their attempted entry to the United States.
How We Can Help You Cross the Canadian US Border
VisaPlace offers two packages that allow legal help to get you across the Canadian US border and through customs with the help of an immigration lawyer.
Canada Entry Package: Enter Canada When the Borders are Closed
United States Entry Package: Enter the US When the Borders are Closed
If you are concerned about entering the US from Canada you should speak with a US immigration professional to help you cross the border successfully.