Going From A Temporary Work Permit To Permanent Resident Status In Canada

By Michael Niren February 13, 2012 (Updated May 10, 2021) 3 min. read

From a Temporary Work Permit to a Permanent Resident (PR) Card

Obtaining a Temporary Work Permit in Canada is often considered a step towards Permanent Residence in Canada. This is true, and for those who already have an active Temporary Work Permit in Canada, there are several ways to move up from a Temporary Work Permit to Permanent Residency in Canada.

Can a Work Permit Holder Apply for PR in Canada?

Yes! Below you will find four Canadian immigration programs that temporary foreign workers can apply for to obtain their Canadian permanent residency:

Essential Worker Stream

Canada is accepting 30,000 essential workers to become permanent residents in Canada in lieu of the COVID crisis. Find out more about the new Essential Worker Stream to Canada PR.

Healthcare Worker Stream

Canada is inviting 20,000 current temporary healthcare workers to become permanent residents of Canada in lieu of the COVID crisis. Learn more about the Healthcare Worker Stream to Canada PR.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Attention: On February 13, 2021, Canada invited 27,332 Canadian Experience Class immigrants through the Express Entry Draw program. This was the largest draw with the lowest CRS score Canada has ever seen!

Through the Canadian Experience Class, applicants can apply for Permanent Resident Status within about a year. People with Temporary Resident Permits who are looking to move to Permanent Resident Status using the Canadian Experience Class need to have either two years of work in Canada or completed one year of post-secondary studies as well as one year of work. This is a popular option for those temporary workers who do not meet the points required by the federal skilled worker program.

If you are interested in obtaining Permanent Residency Status in Canada and you think you qualify for one of the methods above, contact us at the form to the right.

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

If you are working with a Canadian employer on a temporary work permit and the employer has made you an offer for permanent employment, you may be eligible to apply for your permanent residency under the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Such an offer is referred to as arranged employment. The temporary worker will have to meet the necessary points required under the Foreign Skilled Worker Program. Points are awarded based on factors such as the applicant’s education, age, adaptability, language skills and the job offer. This process can take up to 12-18 months.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Under the Provincial Nominee Program, applicants can generally apply for Permanent Residency within a year to a year and a half. Through this program, foreign workers are nominated for Permanent Residency by employers, but each program can be different across provinces. Most of these applicants must be highly skilled for certain jobs, although the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program can involve a select few unskilled occupations.

How to Change a Tourist Visa to Permanent Residency in Canada?

In most cases, you will be unable to change directly from a visitor visa to a permanent resident. Typically, the only way to change from a visitor visa to permanent residency is to qualify as a refugee or to have a partner with citizenship in Canada. However, it is possible to change your visitor visa into a work visa. This would be possible if you found a job in Canada and followed the procedures for securing a work permit. Unfortunately, due to the length of time, it can take to process the work permit application, you may find that you will have to leave the country and return on the new visa.

W-1 Visa to Canada PR

A Canadian visa with the code W-1 identifies the traveler as a worker. So typically any Canadian work visa will be identified as a W-1 code. As spoken about above there are several ways that you can convert a W-1 visa to a Canadian Permanent Residency.

Are You Interested In Going from a Temporary Work Permit to PR Status in Canada?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for VisaPlace Legal an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question Related to Your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.