10 Questions You Should Ask If You Want to Move to Canada

Moving to Canada

Move to Canada

If you’re intending to move to Canada, there are certain questions you need to ask yourself to ensure that you’re making the right decision. This includes your motivations for moving as well as practicalities such as whether you have enough savings, and how you’ll support yourself once you get there.

Moving to Canada

Vice president of human resources at Career Builder, Rosemary Haefner, said “Deciding to relocate is a personal decision for everyone because not everyone’s situation is the same. It may be a good decision for someone who is in a position to move their life to a new area without much disruption, for example, someone who is early in their career.

“On the flip side, someone later in their career, or someone with a family, may have more ties to their current city and while it is not necessarily a bad decision to relocate, it may take more planning and time to actually do it.”

If you’re planning to move to Canada, you should first ask yourself these questions, to make sure it’s a journey you are prepared to take.

1. Why do you want to leave your current country?

Perhaps your career opportunities are limited where you’re currently living, or just really want to experience life and culture in another country. Whatever the reason, you should have clear goals in mind.

2. Where in Canada will you live?

Deciding where to live will be crucial to your success, and will affect your chances of finding a job, as well as how you adapt socially. Do your research before selecting a location.  For example, consider the Provincial Nominee Programs.

3. How will you support yourself?

If you are going to study, or want to experience Canada as a visitor, this may not apply to you, although you should still ensure you’ll have enough funds to live comfortably during your stay. For those wishing to earn a living, you should research the job market in Canada and determine whether you will be able to find a job to support yourself using your current qualifications and skill set.

4. Are you suitable for the necessary visas and work permits?

You may have decided on your dream job in Canada, but in order to live and work there, you’ll require a visa and work permit. For example, you may be eligible for Express Entry as a skilled worker. Do your homework to explore all your options.

5. What’s the cost of living in Canada?

Find out how much it costs to live in Canada, and think about all the things you’ll have to pay for whilst there.

6. Who will you be leaving behind?

Think about your family, and the opportunities you will be leaving behind in your current country. Is it the right choice for you?

7. Have you been offered job security?

If you’ve already been offered a job in Canada, is it secure? If it’s only temporary, will your work permit allow you to find another job while you are still in Canada, or will you have to leave the country? You should be prepared for all eventualities.

8. Can you afford the expense of moving to Canada?

The cost of moving overseas can be very expensive. Calculate all your costs beforehand, and ensure you can afford all the expenses whilst still being able to comfortably live in Canada once you get there.

9. Will you have access to health care in Canada?

Find out which health care services you will have access to while in Canada, and where you will turn to if you need emergency care.

10. Are you going to get legal assistance?

The immigration process is by no means simple.  For best results, applicants often enlist the help of an immigration lawyer who knows the ins and outs of the immigration experience, and what is required to be successful.

Looking for an Immigration Lawyer to Help you Move to Canada?

Coming to Canada as an immigrant is an exciting opportunity, but the rules and regulations make it increasingly difficult to qualify for a Canadian visa. Whether you are applying for Canadian permanent residence or temporary residence, it is essential that your application is handled properly from start to finish.

Our experienced lawyers at Visaplace have helped thousands of individuals and families to immigrate to Canada, to visit, work, study or live, and we can help you, too! Contact us today for more information about Canadian immigration, or fill out our free immigration assessment to get started right away.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Mira Freiwat

    Hello Gobind,

    Thank you for your inquiry. Although you have provided me with some details about your credentials, I would still need some more information to determine your eligibility and the best route for you to take. Kindly complete this form for me http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ and you will be contacted once it has been reviewed. MF

  • Mira Freiwat

    Hello Rebecca,

    Thank you for your inquiry. Email me directly as soon as you can so that I can assist you with this matter. My email address is miraf@visaplace.com. I look forward to hearing from you. MF

  • Rebecca Williams

    I would like to address this email to Michael Niren.
    Hi Michael,
    My name is Rebecca Williams. First I just want to say it’s nice to know that you care about immigrants who move into Canada. Being a lawyer must be tiring but to help real people must give you the joy that you have changed someone’s life for a new start. Thank you in advance for all your hard work.
    I use to live in BC for 8 years when I was married to a Canadian and we had 3 children together two who were born in Canada. Recently my first son and an his wife moved to Canada with my second son who is only 14 to live with his father who moved back to Canada about 2 years ago. My son missed his dad and starting to go through the teen years he wanted his dad around. He told me at 13 he loved me and to please let him go live with his dad. After one year I agreed to let him go but my heart broke. That’s when my older son and his wife went with him for support.
    Now my youngest child is asking about moving to Canada she is 11 years old. I am 43 years old now and do not qualify under the skills worker visa but may have a chance under the parent visa as my oldest son is 22years old. The thing is you can’t work under that visa and I want to still work to support myself. I am a qualified carer for the elderly and disabled.
    I want to know will the law allow my family my children to be united. So we can all live there. It is effecting my daughter now who crys and ask why cant we live in Canada again. All my children have Canadian citizenship and I was only a perment resident which would of expired now due to not living in Canada for more then 5 years. I still have a social security number in Canada and when my ex husband returned to Canada they sent him a health insurance bill with my name on it which means I’m still in the system. He told them we are divorced now. We divorced in Australia in 1997.
    The reason I’m writing this is I want to know if I can get a company to hire me as a carer is there any change for me to get a visa to work there again? I noticed there is a lot of changes to immigration at the start of this year.
    Can you please help I am an Australian citizen and as much as Australia will always be were I was born and grown up. Home is were my children are and the oldest boys have said they would like to stay in Canada and my daughter wants to also be near her brothers and dad but wants to live with me to. Please help us as this is a mothers plead to be near her sons and reunite her brothers with there sister as they are still young.

    I look forward to hearing from you Michael.

    Yours Sincerely
    Rebecca Williams


    Dear Sir/ Ma’am,

    I am working in the United Arab Emirates, Dubai since last 12 years. I was working as an office assistant in construction company from 2005 till 2009 and I moved my career as an office driver and clerk from 2009 to 20013. Currently I am working as a document controller in construction company since last middle of 2013. I have Secondary School Leaving Certificate. My currently salary is AED 4000.00

    I would like to live and work in CANADA. I am looking an honesty person who can help me and I will bare all the cost myself.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago