Do I need a visa to work in the US?

Canada and the United States have a pretty solid relationship, with both countries receiving workers, visitors and immigrants from the other every single year. However, Canadians and other foreign nationals cannot just work in the United States, they need a visa. The type of visa they need is a United States work visa, but there are many different types of United States work visas. 

If you intend to work in the United States or you have a job offer from a United States employer, you can apply for a United States work visa. But which one should you apply for?

What type of United States work visa is right for me?

It is very difficult to determine which United States work visa may be right for you if you are just beginning to look into work visas now for yourself. There are many different types, and all apply to certain situations. For example, if you have a job offer in the United States there are several work visas that may apply to your situation, but it depends on your job type and skill level among other things.

If you are looking into buying a business in the United States or investing, you could apply for an E-visa. There are several different types of E-visas.

In addition, someone who already has a job with a Canadian company but is being transferred to a United States office can apply for an L-visa.

A licensed immigration lawyer can assist you in determining which of the many United States work visas available would be best for you. In addition, we can assist you in your application, ensuring that your application meets all of the expectations of the visa officers. Give us a call!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.