Do you need a United States work visa?

A common question we receive at our immigration law firm is whether a Canadian citizen needs a work visa in order to work in the United States. It’s true, like all foreign nationals, that Canadian citizens must have a job offer in order to work in the United States. US Work Visa

However, the tricky part is that there are many different types of work visas for the United States, and it’s not always easy to find the one that is right for your situation. In other words, determining your eligibility can be one of the most difficult parts of the application process.

Choosing the best United States work visa for your situation

Having a job offer in the United States is a requirement of many work visas, such as the H1B work visa and the TN visa. The TN visa is a very popular option, because it is solely available for Canadian citizens under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Applicants must have a job offer in the United States, but the job offer needs to be in a professional occupation.

There are other types of visas too, such as E-visas, for investors or traders who are from specific countries. One E-visa in particular can result in permanent residence in the United States.

If you are only being transferred to the United States by your employer in Canada or another foreign country, you can consider an L-visa.

If you have a job offer in the United States, or you want to work in the United States but aren’t quite sure where to start, please contact our immigration law firm. We have helped thousands of people just like you with their United States work visa applications, and we can help you too!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.