What kind of visa do I need to work in the US?

If you want to work in the United States, you will require a United States work visa in order to do so. A work visa is a type of visa that allows you to enter the United States and work legally while also living in the United States at the same time. United States Work Visa

However, obtaining a United States work visa is not an easy process. You will have to ensure that you apply for the visa type that is right for you, and ensure that your application is completely properly.

What kind of United States work visa should I apply for?

For the majority of United States work visas, you will need an offer of employment in a specific type of job. However, this is not the case with all visas.

Being a Canadian citizen can also have its advantages. For example, if you have a job offer in a professional occupation you could apply for a TN visa, which is only for Canadian citizens who have a job offer. This type of visa can also be obtained quickly.

If you are a Canadian citizen in a specialty occupation, you could apply for the H1B work visa, which is open to everyone but is also capped, and applications are only accepted at certain times of year, filling up quite quickly.

You could have a job at a Canadian company and be transferred to the United States, which falls under the L-visas. Investors can also obtain visas to work in the United States, some of which even result in permanent residency.

A licensed immigration lawyer (or attorney) can be a huge help when it comes to navigating the United States immigration system and finding the work visa that would be most appropriate for you to apply for. They can also assist you with your application and make sure that you are on the right track!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.