Can I work in the United States if I am a Canadian Citizen?

Like any other foreign national, Canadian citizens are welcome to work in the United States provided that they have the correct visa. They will require a United States work visa in order to be allowed to live and work in the United States.

Canadian Advantages When Applying for Work in the United States

Work in the United States

Canadian citizens have several advantages when it comes to applying for a United States work visa. For example, they are able to apply for visas such as the TN Visa, which is only available to Canadian citizens. There is also the fact that for some of these visas, Canadians can apply directly at the border and avoid longer processing times.

However, that does not mean that applying for a United States work visa is an easy process.

Which United States Work Visa is Right For Me?

There are several different types of United States work visas, each of which has its own requirements. If you are planning on obtaining a work visa, you’ll need to know which type of visa to apply for. Different visas are suited for particular jobs, whether you have a job offer in the United States or not and what kind of job you work in will have to be considered when determining what kind of visa you should apply for.

Speak to a Licensed Immmigration Lawyer Before Applying

If you do not apply for the proper visa, you could end up having your application denied, which can have a significant effect on any future applications you submit. For the best results, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer before you apply for a United States work visa. We can help you determine which visa you should apply for, ensure that you are eligible for it, and ensure that your application package is exactly what United States immigration officials are looking for.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago