Family Sponsorship 2019: Parents and Grandparents Program
Family reunification is a major pillar of Canada’s immigration policy. On August 20th, 2018 the Minister of Immigration, Ahmed Hussen, announced that they will be accepting 20,000 applications for the sponsorship of parents and grandparents in 2019. This is 4 times the number of applications accepted when the program reopened in 2014, when the cap was set at 5,000 applications.
There are many requirements and lengthy application processes for Family sponsorship to Canada. Allow VisaPlace to help you through this process and help your family reunite in Canada quickly. Book a consultation today to speak with an immigration professional about your case!
In order to sponsor your parents or grandparents there are several requirements such as:
Requirements to Sponsor a Parent or Grandparent in 2019
You may be able to sponsor your parents and grandparents to become a permanent resident if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
- Canadian citizen or
- person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
- permanent resident of Canada
If you sponsor your parents and grandparents to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:
- support them financially.
- make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government
- provide for your own essential needs and those of your parents and grandparents and their dependents
When you sponsor your parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada, you must:
- meet certain income requirements
- support that person and their dependents financially
You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that:
- commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them):
- for a period of three to 20 years
- depending on their age and relationship to you
- beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
- states that the persons becoming permanent residents will make every effort to support themselves
Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign the agreement.
Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.
How Much Money Does a Sponsor Need to Sponsor a Parent or Grandparent to Canada
If you are sponsoring a parent or a grandparent, you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application. The minimum necessary income requirement is equal to the Low Income Cut-offs (LICOs) plus 30%, taking into account the number of family members for whom you are or will be financially responsible.
Who isn’t eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
You may not be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if you:
- are in prison
- defaulted on an immigration loan (late or missed payments)
- have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
- received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
- didn’t pay a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
- didn’t provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
- were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on circumstances, such as:
- the nature of the offence
- how long ago it occurred
- whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada) was issued
Other factors not in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents. Which is why it is important to hire an immigration lawyer to ensure you are eligible to sponsor before you waste time and money.
Looking For Help With Your Parent and Grandparent Application?
If you and your family member(s) are thinking of applying for the parents and grandparents program, we can help. Completing the required documents and including the necessary support materials and fees are essential steps when applying to Immigration Canada.
We can assist in presenting a good case and ensure that everything is done correctly to maximize the chances of a successful sponsorship application, as well as your parents’ or grandparents’ chances when applying for permanent residence.
To get started, simply fill our free online immigration assessment form here or contact us here. Once you fill out that form, we will get back to you (within 24 hours) to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.
I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.
Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.