Five Types of Work Visas For The United States

Working in the United States is a possibility for many foreign nationals – including Canadian citizens – thanks to the large number of United States work visas and work permits that are available. But which one is right for you? Types of United States Work Visas

It may seem like there is a visa for everyone, but each of these United States work visas has their own strict requirements that must be met before you can be considered eligible for one. Check out our list of five of these work visas below.

Work Visas for the United States

TN Work Visa: The TN Visa is only available to Canadian citizens (or Mexican citizens) who have a job offer waiting for them in the United States. This is a temporary work visa, and one of the major requirements of this TN visa is that the job you have been offered by a United States employer falls under a specific category. In most cases, these occupations require a lot of training and high levels of education.

L-1 Work Visa: The L-1 visa is a bit different than most other work visas, because it is for employees who already have jobs for foreign companies but are being transferred to a United States office or branch of that same foreign company.

E2 Work Visa: The E2 work visa is a visa for investors in United States businesses. Foreign nationals who are able to commit a certain amount of money to an active investment that generates certain amounts of profits can be eligible.

H-1B Work Visa: The H-1B visa is for “specialty occupations”. A job that is considered a “specialty occupation” is one that usually requires a high level of education and very specific skills – not just anyone can do this job.

H-2B Work Visa: The H-2B visa is similar to the H-1B visa, although it is for skilled and unskilled workers – not just very highly skilled workers like the H-1B visa is.

Keep in mind that all United States work visas have very specific eligibility criteria you will have to meed to obtain one. If you want to work in the United States, call us! We can help you find the United States work visa that is right for you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTTa week ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyi2 weeks ago

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa month ago