What happens when your permanent residency card expires?

Renewing your permanent residency card is an important part of being a permanent resident in Canada. This is to be done every five years as your card expires, and you should try to do it in advance wherever possible. Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that you do it six months in advance, for example. permanent resident card expired

However, it’s not uncommon for permanent residents in Canada to accidentally let their card expire. What happens when it expires?

It is not unlike a Canadian citizen who forgets to renew their passport – just because you have not renewed your permanent resident card, it does not mean you have lost your status. But you can still experience serious problems if you do not renew it.

Why you need to renew your permanent resident card

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, one of the major perks is being able to leave Canada and re-enter as you please – if you have a valid permanent resident card. If you do not have a valid permanent resident card, you can find yourself unable to travel back to Canada. If your permanent resident card is expired when you leave the country or it expires while you’re outside of the country, you must apply for a travel document in order to return to Canada.

If you put off renewing your permanent resident card, you must still be able to demonstrate that you’ve met the residency obligation of living in Canada for at least two or the last five years. If you put off renewing your card, it can be more difficult for you to amass the proof you need – receipts and other documents can become lost or misplaced.

Do you need help renewing your permanent resident card? Has your permanent resident card expired, and you aren’t sure what to do? We can help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago