Can I Get an L-visa to Work in the US?

L1 work visa Not many people are aware that someone being transferred to the United States by their employer will have to obtain a work visa just like anyone else who wants to work in the United States. The work visa for this particular situation is the L1 visa, which is for people being transferred to the United States or for people expanding their business to the United States.

Like all the different types of United States work visas, the L1 visa has several different requirements and a specific application process that you must follow.

Requirements for Obtaining an L1 Visa for the United States

Not just any employee can use an L-1 visa to transfer to the United States. In order to qualify, you need to be a manager, an executive, or someone who is in a position that has specialized knowledge. Each of these job positions have strict definitions surrounding them in a legal sense.

In addition, there are requirements you must meet as to your time spent with the company. For example, you must have been at the company in a full-time capacity for at least one year within the last three years.

One of the most important requirements surrounding an L1 visa application is that the United States company is related in a certain way to the Canadian company. For example, the United States office must be a branch, affiliate, subsidiary, parent company of a joint venture partner of the foreign company.

Make Sure the L1 Work Visa is Right for You

Before you apply for an L1 work visa, contact us and speak with a licensed immigration lawyer to determine if this is the right course of action for you and your employer. If not, there may be another work visa that is perfect for you to start work in the United States.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago