E2 Visa Lawyers Role in the US Business Application Process

Q. Hi I wish to open a convenience store in the US. I am a Canadian citizen and have about $100,000 to invest. How can an immigration lawyer help me with the E2 Visa application?


A. As with all other US Visa Applicants, lawyers can play a very important role in managing the entire E2 visa application process from providing the necessary list of documentation and information, to preparing the required Visa application forms and advising applicants about their interview with the US Consulate. E2 Visa cases require a significant amount of documentation to demonstrate that applicants have a viable business in the US, have made a substantial investment in the US  etc.

Moreover, if there are problems with the application, your immigration lawyer should be able to respond to the US Consulate or Service Center in an effective and timely manner to address any concerns that arise. Finally, there are certain technicalities associated with E2 Visa applications in terms of reentry to the US after issuance.  Some of these issues have already been addressed in previous E2 visa blogs here and here.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Robin


    I am from Bangladesh. I want to invest in the U.S. How can I do invest in the U.S.?

    • Dear Robin,

      Usually, one needs to apply for an E-2 visa. The E-2 is a non-immigrant U.S. work visa that may be granted for substantial investments in the U.S.
      There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa. However, in most cases, the investment should be at least $100,000USD although it can be less than this depending on the type of business involved, the number of jobs created, and the your personal assets.

      Thank you.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago