Do I Qualify for the H1B Work Visa?

H1B wok visa

Applications for the H1B work visa will be accepted starting on April 1st, 2013. These applications will be for the fiscal year 2014, and applicants can start working as early as October 1st 2013 in some cases.

The H1B work visa is not just for any type of job in the United States, and it is required that the occupation the applicant works in be a “specialty occupation”, which generally requires a higher level of education than most. A specialty occupation as stipulated by the H1B visa usually requires a bachelor degree or higher. This is not the only requirement of this visa application, however.

Qualifications required for an H1B work visa in the United States

Applicants interested in the H1B work visa will need to have a job offer from an employer in the United States who has filed for a prevailing wage determination and a Labour Condition Attestation.

Your job must be paying you the prevailing wage for the occupation in the geographic region, and you’ll need to ensure you have the proper educational background to work in this occupation.

The job must require that you have a bachelor’s degree or higher, meaning that not just anyone can apply for this type of United States work visa. This degree requirement must be standard for the occupation across the board, not just your particular prospective employer.

The United States immigration department will begin accepting applications for this program on April 1, 2013 for the fiscal year 2014. The earliest start work date for this cycle of applications will be October 1st 2013. If you are interested in applying for this program, contact us as soon as possible!

UPDATE: The above is an archived article. For the most recent information about H-1B visas and the application process, click here.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.