What is the H1B work visa?

If you wish to work in the United States, you will usually require a United States work permit to do so legally. There are many different types of United States work permits, and the H1B work visa is one of these types of work permits. H1B work visa

Each United States work permit has a very specific purpose, and the H1B work visa is no different.

The H1B work visa is a specialty occupation visa. This means that not just anyone in any occupation can apply for one. To qualify, you need to have a job offer from a United States employer that is in what is considered to be a specialty occupation, which typically will require a high level of education and expertise.

Applying for an H1B work visa in the United States

Applying for the H1B work visa is different than most other types of visas, because the United States immigration department only accepts these visa applications during a certain time each year, and there are only a certain number of these applications accepted at this time.

For the fiscal year 2014, applications for the H1B work visa will be accepted starting on April 1st, 2013. These applications will be for 2014, but the earliest starting work date for them is October 1st, 2013. There will be 65,000 applications accepted, and this quota is expected to be filled very fast.

To qualify for this visa, you need a job offer from a United States employer that offers you the prevailing wage in that geographic region, and the job must required a bachelor degree or higher. The job must normally require a high level of education, it can’t just be that your employer in particular requires it.

In addition, you must have the proper experience and background to apply for the job in question.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago