Entering the United States with a DUI

A criminal record is the most common reason that travelers are unable to enter the United States, even if they have traveled a long way, bought plane tickets and spent a lot of money on their trip. If someone is deemed inadmissible to the United States because of something like a criminal record, they must return home either by land or on the next flight. Denied Entry to the US DUI

A DUI charge is where Canada in the United States are a bit different when it comes to admitting people into each country when they have a criminal record. The general rule for Canada is that individuals with a DUI conviction will not be allowed entry, while in the United States it depends on the actual criminal charges. For example, are there multiple DUI convictions, or a DUI paired with another charge?

If you are concerned about being denied entry to the United States, you do have options.

United States waivers for DUI convictions

United States waivers are special documents that are available if you are ordinarily inadmissible to the United States for a variety of reasons, including criminality.

For the waiver application, applicants will have to apply in advance as well as provide a significant amount of documentation to United States immigration officials that include information about the offense from officials, a written personal statement about the conviction, character references and information about your life in Canada, including your family, home and job. This will let United States immigration officials know that you have intentions to leave the United States after you visit, and that you will not overstay.

If you have a criminal record and want to enter the United States, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer or immigration attorney about your options.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago