Entering the US with a DUI

A criminal record for DUI can make it more difficult for you to enter the United States for a visit, even if you are a Canadian citizen. Trying to enter the United States with a criminal record could result in your being denied entry, which can be highly upsetting and inconvenient. Denied Entry to the US DUI

Even if the DUI conviction is very old, you could still face being inadmissible to the United States.

Being denied entry to the United States and applying for waivers

Someone who is denied entry to the United States for a DUI or for other reasons could be eligible to apply for a United States waiver of inadmissibility. People who are applying for United States waivers of inadmissibility must apply in person at the United States border or designated port of entry, and they will be mailed their results after six to nine months.

If they are denied a United States waiver, there are 30 days to appeal so they must act quickly.

A licensed immigration lawyer or immigration attorney is the perfect person to speak with if you have a criminal record for DUI or a criminal record of any kind and you want to enter the United States. They can assess your situation and help you figure out if you would be inadmissible to the United States based on your criminal history, as well as if you would qualify for a United States waiver. The waiver application itself can be very difficult, so they can also help you with your application. Remember, it can take several months to fully process and application for a United States waiver, so give us a call as soon as you know you need to travel to the United States. Give us a call!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.