Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit to Overcome Inadmissibility

temporary-resident-permit-to-overcome-inadmissibilityThere are many different reasons why someone could be denied entry to Canada. In most cases, the foreign national is dealing with having a criminal record or a medical problem that causes the border officials to declare them inadmissible.

Understanding Temporary Resident Permit to Overcome Inadmissibility

These measures are meant to keep the Canadian borders secure, but sometimes people who pose no security risk are kept out of Canada.

If you are worried that you are inadmissible to Canada, don’t wait until you travel to the border to find out – make sure you find out beforehand.

What Can You Do If You Are Inadmissible to Canada?

Discussing your situation with a licensed immigration lawyer is the best way to determine in advance if you are inadmissible to Canada or not, because it’s not always easy to determine if you’ll be considered inadmissible, even if you have already been to Canada in the past.

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit

After discussing your situation with a licensed immigration lawyer, you may determine that your best course of action would be to apply for a temporary resident permit. This permit is a special document that will allow you to enter the country for a temporary period of time, and there are different types of temporary resident permits. If the reason you are applying for a Temporary Resident Permit is because you have a criminal record, this may be an option for you if your offense is less than five years old.

There are two ways to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. The first is at the US-Canada border if you are a United States citizen. While this can be quicker, there is always a chance that you could be denied the permit. You can also apply at your nearest Canadian consulate or embassy, which takes longer.

If your offense is more than five years old, criminal rehabilitation could be a different option for you. This will permanently overcome your inadmissibility, but it is a longer process.

Are You Facing Inadmissible to Canada? was founded over 15 years ago by Michael Niren, “To provide clients with affordable, effective and expeditious immigration solutions.” The VisaPlace Group of Lawyers (VPGs) and their staff are all independent, licensed practitioners who understand how important it is for to you to achieve your immigration goals. If you are facing inadmissible to Canada, we may be able to help.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.