For a limited time, book a Visa Consultation online and save 20% off the regular booking fee! Use promo code: 2022BookmeBOOK NOW
To see our website filtered by an specific destination, select the country: You’re seing the content related to that we can help you with immigration journey. If you want to see a specific destination, immigration journey. If you want to see a different destination, click here

Dangers of Unintended Border Crossings

By Casey October 29, 2019 6 min. read

What Are the Consequences of Accidentally Crossing the US or Canadian Border?

For people living in the United States or Canada, accidentally crossing the border that separates the two can be more common than one would think. So, if you’re planning a trip close to the border and there is even the slightest chance you may end up in another country or at the border itself without intent, there are some things you need to keep in mind.

What Should I Make Sure I Have with Me At All Times?

Valid Proof of Citizenship and ID

A U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card all serve as proof of both citizenship and identification. Of these, a passport is the best choice, because it’s the only universally accepted travel ID. If you don’t have one of these three documents, you can cross the border using your government-issued photo ID and one of the following documents to prove your citizenship: A U.S. birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, permanent resident card or certificate of Indian status.

If You Are Travelling with Children

If you’re traveling with children under 16, they only need to present proof of their U.S. or Canadian citizenship at the border crossing. That said, officials are on the lookout for kidnapped or trafficked children, so be ready for some increased scrutiny when you travel with kids. If either of the custodial parents is not present – or if you’re not a custodial parent or legal guardian of the child you’re traveling with – bring a consent letter from the absent parent(s). The letter should state that you’re authorized to travel with the child and include both parents’ full names, addresses and telephone numbers.

Do NOT Be A Threat to the Country

You may have heard that people convicted of driving under the influence can’t cross into Canada or the United States. That’s generally true, but it applies to other crimes too. Authorities reserve the right to deny entry to people with a criminal record including offenses like theft, assault, manslaughter, dangerous driving, driving while under the influence, and possession or trafficking of controlled substances. However, they can still let you in under certain circumstances, which usually boil down to convincing the border officers that you meet their legal definition of having been rehabilitated.

What Could Happen If I Crossed the Border on Accident Without the Right Documents?


When the officers pick you up as an American citizen they will do an assessment, if it is very obvious that this is the case of an honest mistake they may allow you to self deport and simply take you back to the border and hand you over to the US border guards. Otherwise you will be arrested and charged and deported back to the US, you will have a Canadian criminal record that will make it very difficult to ever enter Canada legally again.

Canada wants rid of you as soon as possible so if you are smart and waive extradition rights this may happen relatively fast, a couple of days or less, that is if they don’t think there were other criminal issues involved such as drug smuggling. If not, you will be held in a Canadian prison until you go through the legal process, at this level there is no separate immigration detention system, you will be in with the regular prison population where there’s almost no way you would be eligible for bail.

United States

The United States border patrol is similar to Canada’s except for the fact that it tends to be more strict. It is very uncommon for U.S. officers to be lenient on those who claim they have crossed over the border from Canada to the U.S. accidentally without the correct documentation. In recent cases, people who have crossed into the United States unknowingly have been arrested and taken into custody and put into an immigration detention center. It is unknown how long you may have to stay there for before heading back to Canada. In some cases, if you were in Canada on a visitor visa, they may even wait to send you back to your home country.

Examples of People Who Have Had Trouble At the Border

David Connors, 30, and his wife Eileen, 24, say they were driving near Vancouver with five others (including their baby) when they accidentally crossed the border into the United States. The couple claims they were trying to avoid an animal on the road. They were then pulled over by a U.S. agent and arrested. The Connors say they were were not given a chance to explain their mistake and when they requested to “simply turn around” and return to Canada, they were denied.

The family was taken into custody in Washington state on Oct. 3 and then, on Oct. 5, transferred all the way across the country to the Berks Family Residential Center outside Reading, Pennsylvania, where they say they were “treated like criminals” under the supervision of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

“During processing, record checks revealed two of the adults were previously denied travel authorization to come to the United States. Attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return and two attempts to contact the United Kingdom consulate were unsuccessful,” a statement read.

She was then stopped by 2 border patrol agents who began to tell her she crossed the border illegally.

She hadn’t seen any signs marking the border, she said. “I said to myself, well I may have crossed the border but they’ll probably only give me a fine, or they’ll tell me to go back to Canada or they’ll give me a warning.”

Complicating matters was the fact that she didn’t have any government-issued ID or travel permits on her at the time. She was then taken to an immigration center in the U.S..

Two weeks passed before immigration officials in Canada and the US were able to confirm that Roman was eligible to return to Canada.

Why Hire Us to Help You With Your Denied Entry Case?

For over 15 years, we have helped countless individuals who thought they had no hope in entering the States due to a refused entry with their cases. Our experience with immigration law has allowed us to help individuals enter the U.S., who otherwise would have not had the opportunity.

Are You Coming to the US and Are Worried About Being Denied Entry?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.


Belinda Maraj Avatar

Belinda Maraj

Our experience with the team at VisaPlace has been absolutely amazing. Special thank you to Nadia Bakhtiari whom we had the pleasure of partnering with. Nadia was attentive, empathetic, knowledgeable, professional, friendly and accessible. She provided guidance and kept us in the loop every step of the way. We were so impressed with the professionalism and exceptional client experience from VisaPlace that we partnered with them for both our PR application and our citizenship application. Thank you VisaPlace and thank you Nadia!

betty klassen Avatar

betty klassen

We were switched legal teams 3 times within our time there.( This was not our doing) We weren’t impressed at all with the service almost all the way through our experience. Our review would have been 1 star. The response time was awful. To get in contact with our attorney was so difficult. And not thorough. Almost at the end, when we were almost ready to file, we got switched again, but this time, we are thankful. The attorney we got then was Andrew Diamond. He is fantastic and the reason for the 5 star rating. This is his rating. He was phenomenal. Absolutely amazing and prompt with response time and very knowledgeable, thorough and so helpful. We couldn’t have asked for better. Thank you Andrew for all you did for us!

Arash Sorkhabi Avatar

Arash Sorkhabi

I’m satisfied with the expertise and professionalism with which my case was managed and handled. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the firm for its support. Although it has been a long process time due to Covid, Nadia has always been one of the first people to guide me step by step through the path during this stressful and unprecedented time. I strongly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking legal counsel.

Sarb walia Avatar

Sarb walia

I am thrilled to share that , We have just got our Permanent residence status under humanitarian and compassionate category. It was great experience to get professional service from visaplace. All team members very knowledgeable, hard worker, polite and professional. Special thanks to Yasmeen Ali, who always guide me through out processs. Its not easy task to get positive output in HM Category. I am highly recommend visaplace for any kind of immigration needs.

Shannon Wilde Avatar

Shannon Wilde

Applying for my E2 Visa was so overwhelming for me. As soon as I engaged VisaPlace all that worry and stress was gone. They guided me through the entire process and set me up for success! I would 100% recommend using them for any of your Visa Needs.

Julia Rood Avatar

Julia Rood

I reached out to VisaPlace kind of on a whim, knowing that I needed to apply for permanent residency in order to stay with my spouse and our two cats. They were immediately and incredibly responsive, and almost instantly made me feel that I was dealing with professionals who cared about my case.

I reached out to them August last year, and today got the confirmation that my permanent residency has been approved. The people I worked with in VisaPlace stuck with me through the whole process, answering any questions and assuaging any fears that I had about the process, my application, or what I needed to do. Even when my anxiety made me snappy (I apologized immediately!) they handled my case and me with professionalism and compassion. Immigration is a stressful, scary process. I wanted professionals who knew the ins-and-outs so that I had the best chance of being able to come to Canada.

And now, I get to stay in Canada with my partner of nearly 10 years, and I couldn’t be happier. I would absolutely recommend this service to anyone who wants immigration help! A big thank you, especially, to Alejandra and Nadia for handling my case. I’m so lucky to have had your help!

Sanjida Prima Avatar

Sanjida Prima

Had a great experience working with the people at VisaPlace for a Permanent Residency application! The team I dealt with (Nadia B., Krisztina T., Mansi S.) was extremely knowledgeable, prompt and handled the case with care. I would definitely recommend their services to anyone in need!