Ontario Passes Legislation to Maximize Economic Benefits of Immigration
Ontario is currently in the process of reintroducing its record-first Immigration Act. If passed, the Act would help the province to work alongside Ottawa to reap the full economic benefits of immigration.
It’s long been recognized that immigrants help contribute towards a stronger economy by boosting growth partly due to their own networks, as well as by forging new global connections. These connections would give Ontario a more competitive edge when it comes to international markets, which is something the province is rooting for.
Ontario Immigration Act
The proposed Ontario Immigration Act would build on the government’s current immigration strategy, and would help:
- Ontario’s ongoing work alongside the federal government on areas such as the selection, recruitment and admission of skilled foreign workers
- Facilitate the province’s efforts against fraud by reinforcing the integrity of the immigrant selection program and also clarifying its accountability.
- Towards allowing more transparency and improved information-sharing with Ontario’s immigration partners.
Along with the reintroduction of the Act, the province is also set to redesign its Provincial Nominee Program in response to increases expected in the federal government’s allocation of economy-boosting skilled immigrants.
These changes and improvements are just part of the government’s plan to help boost Ontario’s economy and make it a better place to live for its citizens and immigrants. The plan is made up of four parts, designed to build up the province by investing in talented and skilled people (including immigrants), along with providing new public infrastructure (such as roads and public transit) and creating a more supportive, dynamic environment for businesses in the province to grow and flourish. Ontario also hopes to build on more secure ways for its residents to save and plan for their eventual retirement.
Matthew Mendelsohn, director of the Mowat Centre, said, “The diversity of our people is one of Ontario’s strengths. Capitalizing on this advantage is vital to our economy’s future growth.”
Fast Facts About Ontario
- Ontario is still the number one destination for immigrants, and receives more newcomers than all the other provinces and territories to the west combined.
- Immigrants and newcomers makeup 30 per cent of the labour force in Ontario
- Immigration is expected to account for 100 per cent of all the increases in the province’s working-age population, and is predicted to be a main source of labour force growth in the months and years to come.
- The number of economic immigrants to Canada has reduced to 46 per cent over the past decade, mainly due to federal decisions. The other provinces are said to receive an average of around 65 per cent, as recorded last year (2013).
Are you Interested in Immigrating to Ontario?
Are you interested in immigrating to Ontario? VisaPlace can help to get the application process started. All you need to do is fill out our free eligibility online assessment form here and then one of our immigration professionals will get back to you with your results within one business day. Additionally, you can contact us here.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.
I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright
Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.