Secrets to Successful Open Work Permits in Canada

Successful Open Work Permits

Secrets to Successful Open Work Permits in Canada

We receive a lot of questions regarding work permit applications. So today, I would love to talk about these type of applications.

Work permits offer great benefits, including being able to support yourself while you’re in Canada financially, as well as improving your professional experience. And also for those who would like to immigrate to Canada, this is an excellent way to pave your road towards permanent residence.

The Government of Canada issues two types of work permit. The first one will be an open work permit, and that allows you to work for any employer of your liking. The second type of work permit will be an employer-specific work permit. So, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you are allowed to work only for the employer that is specified on your work permit. Today, I will be talking about open work permit applications, but be sure to follow us and we will be uploading a video on labor market impact assessment as well as employer-specific work permits.

Only a certain people will be eligible to apply for an open work permit. The first one and most used categories of people would be a student. If you are a full-time student who had completed at least eight months or more of full time course in Canada, you would be eligible to apply for a work permit. But make sure that you take full advantage of this program, because you will be issued this type work permit only once in your lifetime. And there are a lot of restrictions and requirements, and you have to make sure that you comply with all those requirements.

The second type of people who can apply would be if you are a.) accompanying your spouse, who is a full time student in Canada or b.) who has been full time employed in Canada on a work permit, and you may be accompanying your spouse and be able to work on open work permit.

The third type of applicant would be if you have an ongoing permanent resident application, and a decision hasn’t been made yet, and you do have a current work permit which is about to expire, you can bridge your work permit so that you would have no gap in your employment, and you don’t have to leave the country. There are also certain restrictions, that you have to make sure that you do qualify under this category.

The next type of people who could apply would be if you have a refugee claim that has not been heard yet, or your claim has been heard and a decision hasn’t been made yet, you may be eligible to apply for an open work permit.

The next widely used category would be international young professionals, or people who would like to visit Canada and experience Canadian life. You may be eligible to apply for a working holiday visa, but make sure that your country is one of the countries included in this program, and you are eligible and you meet all the conditions. And it’s very important to make sure that you do have all the conditions imposed, and you do qualify.

Do You Need Assistance With Your Work Permit?

Are you interested in working in Canada? Contact VisaPlace today.

All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Click here to book a consultation with an immigration professional or fill out our FREE assessment and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Zaf


    I am a MASc graduate from a University in Ontario. After graduating, I applied for a a study permit again to continue with my PhD, but just after 2 semesters, my advisor is telling me that he cannot afford to fund me and I can continue my PhD on my own expenses without being paid as a Research Assistant. I can not afford PhD tuition fee on my own that is why I am looking to obtain a work permit but I cannot apply for a Post-Grad-Work-Permit on the basis of my MASc because I has been more than 90 days since I graduated. Now I think have 2 options and I want your guidance as to which one is applicable and suitable:
    1. Can I convert my PhD into a Masters and get PGWP on the basis of my new Masters degree that I will be getting instead of PhD?
    2. Can I apply for a PGWP now on the basis of my already-obtained-MASc degree or even for an open work permit?

    Thank you.

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Zaf. You cannot apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) because you are past the 90 day period from the time that you graduated with your Master’s degree. On a study visa, you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week. You will either need to continue studying to stay in status, or you can look for work based on your Master’s degree, while you are still a student in good standing. You must not let yourself go out of immigration status.
      Regards, Muga

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago