What is a P-2 Visa?

The P-2 Visa is a classification that allows an individual performer or a group entering the US to perform as part of a reciprocal exchange program between the US and an organization in another country. In order to qualify for this type of visa you must be participating in a government sanctioned reciprocal exchange program and you/ your group must be over equal skill to the US artist/ group that is performing as the reciprocal group.

How do I apply for a P-2 Visa?

In order to file for this visa, you must be sponsored by a labor organization in the US or a US employer needs to file Form I-129 which is a petition for a non-immigrant visa. There are several supporting documents you will need to prepare in order to support the petition.

  • Written consultation letter from the sponsoring labor organization
  • Written agreement between the sponsoring US organization and the organization in the foreign country that will be receiving the US artist or group.
  • Evidence that you and the US group/ artist are of comparable skill.
  • Evidence that a labor organization was involved in the negotiations that led to your application

Once the petition has been granted, you can apply for the P-2 visa at a US embassy or consulate.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • How Long is a P-2 visa valid for? P-2 visas initially allow you to stay for the time needed to complete the scheduled performance and cannot exceed one year. You may apply for extensions in one year increments in order to continue performances.
  • What happens if I no longer work with the organization that sponsored me for the P-2 visa? You may change employers if you wish, but the new employer will need to re-complete the I-129 petition in order for you to continue staying on the P-2 visa.
  • Can I bring my family with me? You may bring a spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 and they will have a P-4 visa. While on a P-4 visa, your spouse and children may not work but can attend school or college.
  • What about my staff? If you have a support staff that is vital to your performance and there are not equivalent US workers that may help you, they can also obtain a P-2 visa. They will also need to have an I-129 petition filed by the sponsoring organization. Keep in mind that this is a different I-129 form geared specifically towards support staff and will need slightly different documentation including documentation of the support person’s skills and experience with the artist.
  • How does the P-2 visa differ from the P-3 Visa? Both the P-2 and P-3 visa are designed to help artists or groups to enter the US for performances. However, the P-2 visa is for an exchange program, meaning that a US artist/ group will perform in your country while you are performing in the US. The P-3 is designed for artists/ groups that are to be a part of a cultural program.

Do You Want to Apply for an P-2 Visa? We Can Help!

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association