What is an H-3 Visa?

The H-3 Visa is a visa that allows applicants to be in the United States for a specified period of time to receive training or special education. The applicant must be entered in a program that is not available in the country of origin. The program cannot be a full advanced degree or medical education. The H-3 Visa does not allow the holder to work within the US. There is a visa cap on the H-3 Visa of 50 applications granted each year.

Who can apply for H-3 Visa?

Anyone looking to further their education through training programs or special education programs can apply for this type of visa.

How do I apply for a H-3 Visa?

In order to apply for a visa you must have a formal acceptance from the training program or special education program. The program must benefit the applicant's future career and is not available in the applicant's home country. The institution offering the training should begin the application. After the application has been filed by the institution, the applicant will also need to file an application online and pay the application fee. You will also need to schedule and complete a visa interview.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the H-3 Visa Processing Time?

Processing times vary for each application. The institution accepting you should petition for your visa at least 6 months before the program is set to begin. It typically takes 4-6 weeks for a petition to be processed. Once it has been, you may apply for the H-3 Visa. This usually takes 1-3 months.  

How long is my H-3 Visa Valid for ?

You may stay in the US for the length of your program. For training programs this visa is valid for 2 years, while for special education it is valid for 18 months. It cannot be extended.

Can I change my H-3 Visa into a different visa?

Yes, you may choose to apply for a different type of visa while in the US in order to take a job after the completion of your program. You are not allowed to apply for a Green Card.

Why would my application be denied for an H-3 Visa?

Your application might be denied if:

  • The cap has been met
  • The training program did not petion in time
  • The specified program is general or you have already completed similar training at home
  • The applicant plans to be employed in the US

Can I bring my family with me?

Yes! You will need to have your spouse and children under 21 apply for an H-4 Visa. This type of visa does not allow the holder to work. However, they may apply to change their visa status if they find employment.

Do You Want to Apply for an H-3 Visa? We Can Help!

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association